bobbins for yarn?

ginaj

Question

3 answers to this question

I never used bobbins when I was doing intarsia knitting or multi-coloured crochet. Just work out how much of a colour you need for each bit and leave them hanging when not in use. If you always change colours exactly the same, then turn your work the right way, the twist does not happen. If it does, you just need to pull one of the threads through and generally the whole lot will untangle.

When you use bobbins, you need to stop, un-wind enough yarn for the bit you are going to crochet, hook it back into the slot, then start work again. I could not be bothered with all the stop/start.

If you do want to use a bobbin, just take some firm cardboard and make a shape like a spool, (not too big or you will put too much yarn on it and defeat the purpose.About 3inches X 3inches is big enough.) Make a small cut in one end and then wind the yarn on and hook it into the slit. Always hook it back into the slit before you use the yarn or it will all un-wind and you would wish you had not used a bobbin. I also always use my yarn from the cenre of the ball so the ball is not bouncing about, getting tangled with the next one.

Hope this is helpful.

Colleen

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82328&PRODID=108570

Here is a site that will give you a good idea for bobbins shape. You will have to click on the zoom button.

I made my first ones out of cardboard, but you can use anything else that is a little stiff.

I know Joann's has them in the store, because I bought some a little while ago for a friend here at Crochetville.:hook

Archived