Best yarn to use for an afghan and how much yarn would I need

Ok now that I have the colors I want for the Mexican flag what yarn would you recommend that is not so expensive and also how much yarn would I need to make the afghan I'd say 46x70 Ok I have decided to do the blanket in sc so I hope that helps when answering my question

I personally love to use Red Heart Super Saver or Hobby Lobby's "I Love This Yarn!" for afghans.

As far as how much you will need, depends on what size skeins you get, I would say 10 or so 7oz skeins? Anyone know? :think

Are you using an actual pattern?

I like Red Heart Super Saver for afghans. Caron One Pound too.

Admittedly I haven't measured it, but the sc blanket I made for myself is about as wide as the top of a twin sized bed, and maybe a little less than as long as the bed. I double stranded the yarn and used a Q hook, so your mileage may vary, but I only needed a little more than 3 skeins of the Caron One Pound. (2 colors, 1 full roll each and partial of a new skein of each. Meaning I bought 4 skeins total and still had plenty left over of both colors)

This is what I suggested to a coworker who's making an afghan (she's crocheted in thread only). If you're not buying it on line, Go to the yarn stores (Micheals', Hobby Lobby, Joanns, Walmart, etc., just whatever is in your area) and see what type of yarn they have and choose what you like by feel and color. I'm guessing you're using an H hook or larger, so you probably want a worsted weight. Most now have numbers on them too, WW is a size 4 yarn.

I like Red Heart because it's just a good yarn for me to work with and inexpensive. Some colors may be a bit rough, but wash up fine and soft (on my Sweetheart Ripple, the red was a tad not-so-soft, but washed up perfectly). My coworker found Red Heart Soft (okay it was all they had, but it's really a nice yarn! And looks like it will be perfect.).

Debbi

Archived