Crochet Grid Computer Programs

Does anyone do afghans with the grid patterns? Do you know of any computer programs that will help you design your own?

I'm working on an ABC afghan for a coworker of mine. The letters are done in a puff stitch, and it's laid out on graph paper, with each box representing a stitch. (I think I found the pattern in one of the treads somewhere). I want to take this idea and make baby afghans and full sized afghans with other designs on them, but I'm having problems transferring things to graph paper. (a) I'm not that great of an artist and (b) I can't find graph paper big enough. I've tried doing it in excel but that's not really working too well either.

I know there are programs that will let you design your own cross stitch, and I think that would work. But I don't know which are the best and which will just mess up my computer.

Thanks!

Are there any free programs or websites to use just to kind of get used to the idea of designing your own or do you have to go all the way or not at all? Sorry I am just really poor right now so I can't spend on crochet at the moment. Thanks!

One thing I do, is I go to here and print out the size of graph paper I need to get the grid count:

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/plain/

If I have a picture I am using, like a photograph. (I print out the photograph onto regular computer paper so it can be seen through) Or if I use a name or like a letter font.

Then I pull out my light box (available at craft stores) lay what I want on the light box, put my graph paper on top of the picture, or what I want on the graph paper. And, then I just put a mark in the grid on the graph paper in the parts that are over the picture, using different colored pens for the different colors of the design. It doesn't matter what color of pens as you can note that the blue pen on the graph is the peach colored yarn, etc.

Sometimes though, I need more grid for my design than I can get on one piece of paper. The current afghans I am working on now, one of them is using 15 graphs (different squares graphgan) and the other I'm working on too, is using 9 graphs (a one piece graphgan)

Okay if you are looking for something online where you can upload an image and then it will produce a graph pattern for you try this site. It is free to everyone and it is a great little tool when looking to do a graphghan.

http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/

I believe this is what you are asking about.

Archived