Common problem?

Well I have never before crocheted anything before. I've done lots of practice though. :lol

I have tried crocheting just a quick simple sc square, but the farther along I get the more the square narrows and I take it aoart before it turns into a triangle.

Am I doing something wrong. I don't think I am pulling it too tight because I tug on it a little and it doesn't seem to help.

Make sure you are putting a stitch in the very first stitch of the row and the very last stitch of the row. The last st of a row is especially easy to miss.

Like Stacy said, count your stitches every row to make sure you have the right number. Soon you will understand how it works, and you won't have to count anymore.

Count your stitches at the end of each row.

When you get to the end of the row, don't forget to chain before you turn. That chain acts as your first stitch in the next row. If you are doing single crochet, chain 1 before turning. If you're doing half double crochet, chain 2, and if you're doing double crochet, chain 3.

After you turn, make sure you go into the first stitch along the row. When you get to the end, before you chain and turn, make sure you count your stitches. Also, don't forget to do a stitch in the stitch that was formed at the very end of the row by doing the chain before you turned. If you don't crochet in that stitch, you're going to decrease your row by one stitch each time, and if you don't do the chain before you turn, you'll be decreasing by a stitch there also, so if you forget to chain before you turn, and then don't do a stitch in that very last stitch, you'll be decreasing by two stitches each row, which will narrow your piece down VERY quickly.

I hope I haven't been confusing! Oh, and welcome to Crochetville!

my biggest problem at first was not knowing exactly what to do about the first stitch and turn and last stitch so i did exactly what the pattern said and it all worked out but if you dont do it just as it says it always goes wacky I know youll get it worked out just takes a little time and alot of patience and keep trying "sticktoativness" as my mother would say *smile*

My DD has the same problem. She keeps dropping the first or the last stitch.

There are 2 ways of doing your turning chain for sc. You can either ch1 and count that as your first st OR you ch1 to turn and sc in the same/first st. Sc is the only st that you can turn either way.

I find that it's easier to know where to place your last st if you choose the 2nd turning choice.

Archived