plarn idea

OK, so first I'll admit that I haven't tried any plarn yet so this may not be good idea, but.......

My dd was playing with a bunch of those cheap plastic hawaian leis (bright colored plastic, something like 10 for $1.00 at the dollar tree) when one came apart. They are just one very long strip of plastic about an inch wide. Of course my first thought was, "I wish I wasn't so busy, I'd like to try to crochet that" but then after tripping over it all day picking it up a million times it went in the trash. Now I'm waiting for another one to come undone, I really do want to try it:)

MarciMarie

OMG, what a GREAT IDEA!!!!! Now I can't wait to go to the dollar store to buy a bunch of them to take them apart! :lol

The problem with plarn made from plastic bags is that the colors are so limited, since most of the bags are either white or beige. Sure, some of them are black and the occasional boutique store might have pink ones or whatever, but for the most part plarn isn't the most brightly colored stuff there is. The plastic leis would make for some very pretty beach bags, don't you think? And it would rid the world of the tacky plastic leis in the process! :lol

That's a really great idea! I know that Oriental Trading and places like that usually sell them by lots if the Dollar Tree ones end up working out. I've played with plarn a little, but never actually completed an object made from it. I did find that it works up thinner than I thought it would. Experiment and see but you may have to double the lei plarn up in order to get a thickness that's easy to work with. Unless you decide to make neon plarn doilies! I'd love to see pictures of those if someone ever did it. :hook

Archived