Have you ever been told what yarn to use?

Ok has anyone had anyone ask them to make something for them and the people tell you what kind of yarn to use? I know that certain yarns are good for different projects I'm asking this question because one time I got from my fiance mom that she wanted me to make her other son my fiance's brother a yarn out of thinner yarn I know that she would buy the yarn but the problem I have with the sport yarn is that Michigan isn't exactly a warm climate state we go through different weather

Maybe your fiance's mom was looking for a particular color or she liked the feel of the yarn. What will you be making with it? If the thinner yarn won't work, you could look for alternatives in heavier yarn in the same color and texture. I've had people pick the yarn before (and then I pay for it!!) but usually it's kids that go for a certain color that RHSS has and nothing else will do. They don't care about the fiber content or the feel, they just want the color!

Yes, I think the best way to handle it is to just outright tell her why that kind of yarn is not appropriate. A lot of people can't tell the difference between sport weight and worsted weight. Surprisingly, a lot of people who knit and crochet can't tell the difference by looking at it, only by swatching it.

I had a lady once who wanted me to knit some baby booties. The yarn she brought me was 100% mohair yarn and it kept breaking and fuzz was going up my nose. Can you imagine that for a baby!

I think if you are making a hat, either request different yarn or double it. Or, if you have a similar yarn in worsted weight, accept hers and switch them! Like was all ready said, most people don't know the difference.

Archived