Fair Isle or Intarsia?

PBLKNP

I'm working on the Patons "Snowflakes on Red Sweater". As you see,

http://www.patonsyarns.com/patternbook.php?PBS=500850

there are snowflakes that require two-color knitting. In the chart, it looks like there are rows that have more than 5 stitches for a given color. If that's the case, should I use Intarsia to do these, or can I get away with Fair Isle? Is there some way to carry a color in a row if it's more than 5 stitches in length? :think

There is a way to strand yarn behind long blocks of color if you really want to. I read it recently in a book and tried it, but drat I can't remember which book!

I'll browse through the library books I still have in my possession and see if I can't re-find it when I get off the computer. :)

There is a way to strand yarn behind long blocks of color if you really want to. I read it recently in a book and tried it, but drat I can't remember which book!

I'll browse through the library books I still have in my possession and see if I can't re-find it when I get off the computer. :)

Thanks...that's so kind of you!

Oh it's so aggravating! I went through the books I still have out but couldn't find it. It may have been in a book I returned. I had tried it and was surprised how slick it had worked and how simple it was.

I just went and tried testing what I remembered and it was something along the lines of:

Insert your right needle into the loop on the left, yarn forward the color you are carrying (make sure the yarn to be visible is beneath the color to carry), wrap the yarn to be visible, then yarn back the carry color, and then complete your knit stitch. It catches the carry color in the back. If it isn't catching you're not getting the feed yarns lined up the way you need to when you yfwd the carry yarn.

I have no idea if this makes sense, but hopefully it does! :lol

I think that fair isle would be the best but I don't do it very often. I have made a sweater similar to that and that is the way I did it. If I am not mistaken, didn't the Stitch and Bitch Nation book address this issue. I always cross over the yarn on the wrong side atleast every five stitches if that color is not being used. Knittinghelp.com should address how to carry the yarn. Good luck.

Archived