How do I start a local non profit organization?

Jempast

First of all, have you contacted the doctor personally to see if he/she is receptive of the idea?

I'm sure a lawyer wouldn't hurt. They would be able to answer any legal questions that may be relevant... but ultimately to acheive charity status, you would have to apply with the IRS for the appropriate non-profit status that would apply to your particular charity...

Of course I am not an expert on this, so again, the lawyer and/or IRS representative would be able to answer your questions a little more accurately.

EDITED to add: Why would you need charity status? If it's just one Dr's office you'll be donating to I would think it would be cost prohibitive to pursue charity status...

I just edited an article about becoming a 501©. In this case, though, it was a parrot welfare group.

A lawyer, CPA, and contacting your local governments is a start.

It varies from state-to-state whether you have to make a non-profit organization or a non-profit corporation. Starting a non-profit corporation is a little more difficult because you have to abide by the same tax laws as other corporations which includes quarterly fillings. Unless you're going to be taking money or spending enough where being tax exempt is needed, it's probably not worth the effort. Alternately, you could try finding an already established NPO or NPC that you can work through. You can do all the fillings yourself but it's probably easier to get a lawyer to help you get setup and a CPA to do the organization's taxes. A non-profit is still a business so if you want to run one it needs to be treated as such.

Don't worry about non-profit status....... Just do it!! Check with the doctor to see what they want/need.

I run The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project that is in all 50 states and has over 1,000 volunteers - we deliver to 10 military hospitals. Four years ago when I thought of doing this I took classes about becoming a registered non-profit - everyone in the know told me "NO" - unless I needed to pay salaries it was not needed. It was the best decision I ever made. I keep track of all money donated (to cover postage and supplies) but don't need to file any paperwork. The donations are wonderful and generous gifts from my "friends".

Truely don't take your time, energy and resources away from helping other people...... just get out there and do! Also you will find lots of amazing people on Crochetville that will help you.

Archived