Has a Crochet Pattern ever got you frustrated?

Yes I bought 4 patterns from a site that other people were all raving about. I didn't know however that the pattern was written as if I was in another country and all the patterns were so poorly written. I had a hard time following it and just basically had to wing it.

Stitch counts didn't match up, no pictures other than at the top of the pattern so it really was frustrating.

Donna

That's exactly why up to now I haven't wanted to buy patterns online, if I think many out there in magazines and books are poorly written I can't help but wonder what I would be getting from a less known source. I would have to know at least that the designer can be reached in case of trouble.

Last week I visited my new crochet buddy (that I met through C'ville) and we were looking at books each of us had checked out of the library and when she was admiring some beautiful patterns in "So Simple Crochet" she remarked that the instructions for a "beginner" pattern didn't say at the end of the rows "Ch x, turn (or "turn" and then at the beginning of the next row "Ch x" as some people put it). While for most that's easy to figure out, neither of us felt that's the way a beginner pattern should be written. I looked at the introduction to the pattern and all the "helpful hints" and nothing was said about that, then I looked at other patterns and they were all like that. Whenever I think that for Mother's Day I was going to buy a crochet book "sight unseen" I'm SO glad I didn't, I will only buy one after I've checked it and made sure I'll be happy with it.

I'm not going to lie... absolutely, I've been incredibly frustrated.. especially with free patterns on the internet. They've often not been tested and sometimes they are written very poorly or worded incorrectly. I know that sounds ungrateful of me, but it is the truth. I am sure there have been a few patterns of mine that have given people trouble and I really apologize if they have. :eek I am here if anyone needs help though. LOL It's just sometimes there is no way to get a hold of the original designer to ask questions. :ohdear

I have to agree too, sometimes it is so frustrating because I start it and it looks so nice in the picture but when I start making it, its nothing like it.

It's true that many free patterns on the web are written a little differently, especially from country to country. Once in awhile a pattern in a published book or mag will also have errors, but the tech editors generally do a very good job of making sure things are as accurate as possible. I personally had a reader email me when my design for the Blue Hawaii Sweater in Easy as 1-2-3 Crochet didn't make sense to her. She was having a hard time visualizing how to work the sleeve. I gladly took photos of the sweater and wrote her a more detailed description of how to do it and invited her to send me a pic when she finished her sweater. I think most designers (at least the ones I know) want people to understand their patterns and find them clear; likewise if there is a problem, most would be happy to make things more clear. I personally have made things only to have the stitch count wrong or the pattern is just not right. I figure if I have frogged it more than 3-4 times and can't make it come out right, it might be the pattern. One time I made a baby sweater for a layette and following the pattern, the yoke looked like it would have strangled the poor kid! So, I ripped it out and figured out my own stitch count and it looked like the picture. At any rate, if you have ripped it out more than 3-4 times, it might not just be you, so I encourage you to try and contact the original designer! :)

I think I am the only one who cannot figure out that Bobbys square. Despite having a few people send me some. :irk

I try to have all my patterns tested before I make them available. And I try to answer asap (with in a day unless the post office looses my rent again) if anyone has any questions.

But some of those patterns need to be rewritten or just taken down. I am thankful for the patterns but please stop wasting our time.

Archived