I have a knitting question

tigermom

Does anyone have a knitting machine? I could kick myself. I had the one my grandmother had and gave it away, never thinking I would want it. Well I was thinking if I had just a little one I could polish off charity hats and scarves like crazy. I've read some reviews of the ones that Joann's and QVC has but they reviews weren't very good. Any suggestions?? I know I would never use it to make a sweater just small things. tia

I have one of those "Ultimate Sweater Machine" knitting machines. I haven't used it more than a bit of testing and to whip up a blanket in one weekend (plain stockinette center then crocheted a border around it.)

There's a couple of things to note about them that I can think of off-hand.

• They do stockinette stitch by default. For ribbing, while you can unravel every second stitch (or however many you want) to reverse the stitches with a hook relatively quickly, be aware that it won't have the same elasticity as regular ribbing. My mother recommends hand knitting your ribbing then putting it on your machine. Higher end knitting machines can come with 'ribbers' which make it so you can do ribbing better and also purl inclusive patterns more easily I believe.
  • Patterns with purls will need the stitches turned around manually.
  • You will probably need some additional weights besides the big bar weight that it comes with. I got some claw weights for mine. I'm sorry, but elastics and S hooks simply didn't cut it for me.
  • It can make up a plain stockinette rectangle / square VERY quickly.
  • You can reasonably easily do stranded two-color knitting (fair isle).
  • You can reasonably easily do basic cables.
  • You can reasonably easily do lacy knitting.
  • Keep in mind that if you do increases or decreases other than at the edges you'll need to scooch the rest of the stitches over manually with your tool.
  • I'll overstate the obvious that it only does flat items, so you'll have to do seaming for cylinders.
  • Stockinette stitch will curl in on itself readily, so you will probably want to hand border with crochet or something like that if you do not want the curl.

They can be lots of fun and really zippy once you find the best way to work within its parameters on projects. :)

Both DD and I had them (note the word had). Great for one stitch large flat items, but too much effort, time and work for hats, booties, etc. I found I had more enjoyment from doing them by hand. DD hardly used it also. So we sold ours at a yard sale.

I guess it depends on what you make and the stitch you would be using most.

Thanks, you kind of convinced me I don't need one, my husband thanks you,! I thought the hats would go faster than by hand but guess not. I remember my grandmothers, once you put the yarn in and on the needles you just run the shuttle across to knit a row. I remember her having 2 needles front and 2 back which gave her a 2x2 ribbing. Guess the new machines are different. I'll be making them by hand, some crochet and some knit. Now I have to learn to knit on either circular needles or double pointed! thanks again

• 3 months later...

I own one of those big old knitting machines. They really are fun. I've made hats (really cute little ones- 2"x3") and even socks (yes socks on a regular knitting machine- only one seam too!! They looked really great even if they were to small for me).

Machine knitted hats do work up soooooo fast!! I used the typical yarn that is used for machine knitting (I would never crochet with it). I could make a hat in 30 mins or less. Just depends on what size the hat is.

Julee

Archived