spun yarns

RebeccaVelasquez

here are 2 yarns that i have been playing around with. the first i'm calling "society" the colors are fairly accurate. they are a red, baby blue and purple.

it is a single spun on my hilary (louet S15) to about the thickness of sz 5 thread.

society.jpg

this roving was RAOK'd to me!! see how beautifully it spun up!?!

it is also a single of about sz 5, made with hilary.

seafoam.jpg

i plyed the seafoam last night:

seafoamplyed.jpg

i'm quite happy with it :D it will be part of the sea of yarn swap package:)

Okie dokie, here's a few things

th_silkblend.jpg

th_983304a8.jpg

th_83a4cc9f.jpg

Top picture is what I'm working on now. It's a wool/silk blend I bought at MDS&W...I think there is some mohair in it too??? I didn't get a tag with it and now I forgot. This is the first fiber I've worked with that came in big wide batts instead of roving. Frankly, it's a pain. I'll take roving thank you very much. But it's still yummy. Anyway, I have a 20 oz of it and plan to do a shawl of some sort. I'm going to take it on my cruise next week so I have something really gorgeous to work on.

2nd picture is yarn I spun from "mystery" roving also purchased in MD. It was a whole mishmosh of colors, fiber is not perfectly identified but it's approx 80% regular wool with a good bit of merino, mohair and silk noil mixed in. It's the first self-spun yarn that I have actually tried to make soemthing with (again, a shawl as you can see) I did make up a little test swatch that I washed & dried to make sure the stitches weren't going to slant on me. They didn't, yahoo!!! :yay I have 2 more skeins of it (not pictured) that I still have to set the twist on, a total of 1 lb.

Last picture is some scrumptious cheviot bought from a lady in my spinning group. She only sells on a small basis, so I grab anything from her that I can. Her stuff is always super clean and in nice little puffs of roving. 2 more bobbins full that I have to set the twist on as well, 1lb total again.

I also have some white Border Leicester I spun that I didn't take pictures of. Need to set the twist on it (sensing a trend here???) so it's not pretty to look at. 8 oz of that.

Holly

Love this idea.

Ok...here's what I have right now (or have recently finished)

This one is made of two felted batts I was playing around with. Was a bear to work with but would make an interesting contrast to a bag I think. Just need to find out if it would full again since it was already felted. :think

Dscn1297.jpg

This one is just some inexpensive white roving that I had dyed blue and pink. when plied together it came out purple.

Dscn1295.jpg

This was from a friend's small flock. you can't see if from the pictures, but it has a streak of blues and purples through it. Very soft.

Dscn1294.jpg

this is my current baby. Not sure what the make up is as I bought the roving awhile ago (before I knew a whole lot about spinning and raw fibers and such) but I love the colors. It just reminds me of autumn with the rusts, burgundy, blue and various other colors. This picture does not do it justice.

Dscn1293.jpg

Wow! I love what all of you guys have been spinning up! I need to get off my butt and do some spinning! :)

I was spinning up some silk I picked up at MDS+W, but haven't spun too much up yet because it's so incredibly fine (and difficult yet enjoyable to spin).

[i picked up some new stuff to spin at The Weaving Works while I was on vacation that I am excited to start spinning... some merino+mohair blend, some gorgeous merino, and some plain corriedale. Plus the ... oh, few pounds of other fiber I have lying around. :blush ]

Archived