DMC 6 Strand Cotton

simbaroo27

Hi -

I'm very new to crochet and I'm even newer to crocheting with thread. I want to do a filet piece that has Elvis on it. I have the graph but now I need the thread. I wanted to use black (I know, it's going to be a pain!) and then put white fabric behind it and frame it for my husband. What do you think the best thread is for me to buy? Hopefully it comes in a spool large enough. The graph is 90 squares wide and 150 squares high.

I appreciate any help you can profide. Thanks.

You definitely want to use a #10 thread that comes on a roll of at least a couple of hundred yards, like the Aunt Lydia's or one of the other well-known crochet threads. The DMC embroidery thread is OK for very small projefts, but for something that is going to need as much thread as your Elvis filet piece, the embroidery thread will result in WAY too many joins for new skeins of floss and all of those joins will have to be woven in, and it's going to be VERY difficult to get them all woven in and still have the piece lay flat and not be lumpy where the weaves are. Knit Cro-Sheen is another good thread that is easily available just about everywhere that has a good yarn section. You're going to LOVE doing filet! I've been crocheting for almost 40 years but I only did my first thread piece last December. I absolutely ADORE working with thread now!

Simbaroo, Crafts, Etc.! has Aunt Lydia's crochet thread, 350 yard rolls, IN BLACK, for $2.19 per roll! That's a great way for you to ensure that you have enough thread in the same dye lot to be able to finish your Elvis piece! Here's a link to the site: Yarn & Needlework - Aunt Lydia's Classic Crochet | Crafts, Etc! ®

You might want to consider using DMC Cebelia thread for your piece since it is a gift. It it a better quality thread then the Aunt Lydia's you can order it from the knitting warehouse site listed in a previous post. I would figure about 400- 425 yards for the size piece you are doing. But a lot depends on your tension and what you intend to do as an edging.

Good luck on your project and if you haven't done filet before you might want to try an Extended Double crochet instead of a normal double crochet. I can post directions for that stitch if you need it.

Archived