Shrugs

crochetfun

Question

EVer since I made my first shrug I kept on thinking how to deal with the problems in the back. (i.e. I never liked them from the back. either it is too loose and creates a couple of humps or pulls near the mid-back.)

Today I found this little bit of info (obviously I'm not alone with this problem), so I thought I'd post the link, maybe someone else is interested.

I am also very much interested in solutions to the problem:)

http://www.livejournal.com/community/crochet/2463101.html

18 answers to this question

I think I get it: (please feel free to correct me if I am wrong:) )

The first part:

Ch60, sc across, then continue w. backloop sc for 64 rows.(this will be the back)

then turn,

do 26 sc,(back loop only) continue until you reach row 44. (this is front)

Join these short rows to upper edge(sew)

Repeat same on other side, again join to upper edge.(Other front piece)

Edge with shell stitch (5dc) (I think shells alternating with sc)

Is this clarifying it or confusing matters further?

Crochetfun,

If you make the collar a bit fuller, it will sit flatter on your shoulders and further down he back. Maybe with increases as you go so it gets wider, further away from the neck edge.

The collar, if you spread the shrug out flat when not being worn, should be able to sit like a circle if it is the right size. Do you know what I mean?:think :think :think

Trying to describe these things without being able to show you is like trying to read a book in the dark. Very hard to do.

Have fun.:hug :hug

Colleen

Hi that's helpful! I made a shrug/bolero in about 1988 and ended upnot wearing it much because it sagged in places and pulled in others! This explains why. I really wanted to make one for this summer, and now with this info feel able!

Let you all know how I go!

I'll be really interested. :)

thanks Colleen for all your help. I'll post as soon as I have something.

Still deciding what yarn to use. Must wait for my daughter to come back for decisions or maybe I'll make something for me this time. My problem with this type of top is my short neck. Those big collars don't work for me. And, I haven't been able to figure out how to keep the collar small without compromising the rest.

Crochetfun,:hug

The ribbing needs to be wide enough to fit across your back and over your shoulders. I guess it would be about 18-20 inches in a relaxed state. It then needs to be half as long again as the width. The stretch goes across your back to allow it to sit flat unless you make it too wide, then it bags.

(I made a wee mini Hug-me-tight yesterday and put it on a dolly and it looks so cute. I can not take a picture now until my sister gets back from the US trip. Might be able to get son-in-law to take one for me.)

The seam on the ribbed bit ends up sort of at the bustline in the front, then the collar is done the same as the one you made. The sleeves were sort of bell shaped but can really be as narrow or wide as you wish.

Between us, we will work out this conundrum.:think :think :think

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Your Shrug looks very similar to the :hug :hug :hug Hug-me-tight, even the stitch used on the collar is similar. The ribbing just lets it come further around the front because it stretches where crochet does not. I think yours is just beautiful.:cheer :cheer :cheer

Colleen

Thank you:)

I did the back w. Back loop/Frontloop sc, which is much better than the groups of DC used in the cocoon http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8194&highlight=cocoon, but I think I'll give it one more try with a ribbed back.

Now, one more question or almost a statement: the ribbing will need to be vertical in order to work? It also means that I don't need to go quite as wide across the back to allow for stretch???

Thanks for all your help.

Kathy

Hi that's helpful! I made a shrug/bolero in about 1988 and ended upnot wearing it much because it sagged in places and pulled in others! This explains why. I really wanted to make one for this summer, and now with this info feel able!

Let you all know how I go!

Your Shrug looks very similar to the :hug :hug :hug Hug-me-tight, even the stitch used on the collar is similar. The ribbing just lets it come further around the front because it stretches where crochet does not. I think yours is just beautiful.:cheer :cheer :cheer

Colleen

Here is a shrug I made recently:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7959

This one is crocheted elbow to elbow, then seam is made on either side for arms, then lacey parts added around the body and the sleeves.

I understand what you are saying Colleen.:)

The 1905 model is different because 2 extra pieces are added (for the front)

Of course one could play with this design as well: add sleeves, different trim, collar, ...

:think:hook No, the Shrug, (Hug-me-tight) is a large square of K2 P2 ribbing, which is folded in half and sewn part way to the fold to leave a hole for the sleeves.

The lacy crochet sleeve is worked on each sleeve opening, then the collar, frill, is worked around the large opening. When you are finished it looks like a sweater with no neck hole but you open up the collar, frill, bit and put your arms through the sleeves and the whole thing hugs around your shoulders and the collar folds down at the back. The collar, when the Hug-me-tight is opened up to be worn, looks like a circle.

You can put a front fastening to hold it together.

It is very hard describing something without being able to draw it.:think :think :think

My sister has borrowed my Digital Camera to take to the USA later today so I will not be able to show you what I mean until she comes back. She is going to be in San Francisco first then going on to the "Sisters Quilt Exhibition" where-ever that is held, taking a party of 40 keen Quilters from all over NZ.

Meantime I will make a mini version so I can take a picture to show you how the Hug-me-tight looks when off and post it when lesley gets back.

It is an advantage to have a Knitting Machine with a ribber as the ribbed bit would be quite labour intensive.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Thanks for your detailed response, Colleen. I do get it. I have made a couple of crocheted shrugs. Same principle.

I should try it w. a ribbed back, see what the difference will be.:)

If you still wanted to make it in one piece in crochet you could do a number of sts at the bottom in BLO sc and do the rest in whatever st you were using.

:frog

It is really hard to write in words how to do this.:hug :hug :hug

You fold the piece if knitted ribbing in half, joining it along what would be the selvedge edges if it was fabric.

I always made sure there was a K2 at each end of the piece and sewed them up using Mattress Stitch so the seam virtually disappeared.

When the Shrug is worn, the seam sits on an angle towards the bustline, sort of like a Dart.

(I will try to find if the local Machine-knitters Club have the pattern because it was one of their members who showed me how to do them originally.)

The rib runs up and over the shoulder so the elasticity is across the back.

I did not think it would be so hard to describe such an easy thing.:think :think :think

What you could do is get a rectangular piece of paper and draw lines on it length-wise, then fold it in half, end to end and pin up or cellotape about half way up each side. You should see where the lines go, that will be how the ribbing looks. Then picture a sleeve on each side opening and a wide frill worked around the large opening. When you put your arms through the sleeves, (not the paper ones as they will be a bit small) the wide frill forms a lovely collar.

Are you confused yet????:think :think :think

I am so I will stop before I really make a pigs ear out of the instructions.

Have fun.

Colleen

PS I need to find out how to post photos, then when my camera comes back from being repaired, I can make a mock-up and take a picture to show what I am burbling on about.:hug

If you make the back narrower then shape the top of the sleeve you will get a better fit.

We used to make what we called a :hug "Hug-me-tight", :hug which was a rectangle of 2X2 ribbing, knitted then sewed up the seam, leaving enough to work the sleeves on. The sleeves were crocheted in an open shell stitch. Then we would crochet the same stitch around the opening to form the collar. When off, they looked like a jumper with no neck hole. Because of the ribbing, they usuall sat nicely at the back.

Luckily I had a knitting machine with a ribber as we made hundreds of the things over a period of years. (This was back in the 70s.)

I dont think there was a pattern as such but all I remember is that the ribbing used all the needles on the machine for the large size in 4ply yarn, which is not very thick. I will work out how many rows if anyone needs to know.:think :think :think

Have fun.

Colleen

Sorry, I am not a knitter. When you say ribbing, it would run vertically, am I correct? (I have actually considered doing it before hoping for a better fit in the back) One could do it with backloop sc rows or post stitches I guess.

If you make the back narrower then shape the top of the sleeve you will get a better fit.

We used to make what we called a :hug "Hug-me-tight", :hug which was a rectangle of 2X2 ribbing, knitted then sewed up the seam, leaving enough to work the sleeves on. The sleeves were crocheted in an open shell stitch. Then we would crochet the same stitch around the opening to form the collar. When off, they looked like a jumper with no neck hole. Because of the ribbing, they usuall sat nicely at the back.

Luckily I had a knitting machine with a ribber as we made hundreds of the things over a period of years. (This was back in the 70s.)

I dont think there was a pattern as such but all I remember is that the ribbing used all the needles on the machine for the large size in 4ply yarn, which is not very thick. I will work out how many rows if anyone needs to know.:think :think :think

Have fun.

Colleen

Thanks for posting this!

I really need to go add that community to my livejournal friends page so I remember to read it. (I don't keep a journal there anymore, but I still use the account to keep track of friends who post there...)

Archived