beattysgirl

What size crochet hook do you use for Inga's "H bag" pattern?

Question

8 answers to this question

it seems that a 3 is a D or a 3.25mm hook

OMG that is little! I have never used one that size before. Is this bag pretty big? I would like to make it for a friend to use as a baby tote. Not to tote her baby in, but her baby's stuff. LOL

You can really use any size yarn you like, and the corresponding hook. The original pattern calls for Anchor Magicline yarn, which I think is not easily available in the US. You could experiment with a square using the yarn and hook you prefer and measure that, then multiply by number of squares in the bag, to see how big it would be.

I think I want to use Caron Simply Soft or Sugar and Cream cottons (they both wash up nicely) with an H hook. Would this thing turn into a monster with an H hook???

i think you will just have to experiment; how big do you want it to be?

Personally, i wouldn't use Simply Soft for a bag that will get a lot of use. i think it is too soft and will likely stretch out of shape and not hold up well. just my $.02. ;)

Thanks for the feedback, you are probably right about the Simply Soft. I think I will go with the cotton. The girl I am making it for would probably like it better, anyway!

Use the cotton it will hold up better. I do have to say that cotton will stretch a bit over time too so you may want to make handles a bit shorter or make them adjustable as my cotton bag handles have streched out a bit.