Boiling method?

CrochetAmore

I just came across a website that suggested boiling your project to felt it. I currently do not have a washing machine and doing it at the laundromat is out of the question (no hot water). I typically save up my felting and beg, borrow, or steal someone's laundry room for half a day... but if I could do it on my stovetop at home this would be so much more convenient!! Has anyone tried this method? If so, what were the results?

The link I'm refering to:

http://www.woolcrafting.com/easy-felted-potholder-pattern.html

I tried felting by hand and it didn't really work that well. Maybe boiling it would have been better. I have a washing machine but it's a front loader and I was leery of trying to felt in it, especially since it was my first time. I was afraid that what ever came out might only be usable by Barbie. :lol I also might give this method a try myself!

I actually have tried this with a hat. It did felt, but the thing that you are missing the most felting by hand is the strong agitation that you get with the washer. Even with the boiling water I still had to really agitate the hat around in the water with a wooden spoon to get it to felt. I thought my arm would fall off.

The water doesn't have to be boiling hot, you can do it 'CAREFULLY' in a sink or large pot. I used a potato masher to really work the fabric, and it came out well for me on several occasions. You'd want to use one of the yarns that felts up pretty quickly, like Patons SWS.

Thankyou everyone for the helpful info! :hug

I had the feeling it wasn't as easy as just boiling it! I'm still gonna give it a try with a small project. I've been wanting to try the SWS because I've heard it felts so easy. I picked up a couple of skeins recently and I think I'm going to try some coffee cup cozies.

Thanks again :yes

I've not tried this but I thought about it with my first project. I would think a potato masher would work for the agitation. It would be a great way to get some aggrivation out, too. :)

Good point!! LOL

• 1 year later...

Archived