What drives you on?

I only picked up the art of crochet a few days ago, and despite a kinda lousy IMHO (In My Honest Opinion) start on a blanket for my unborn niece or nephew who likely won't be born until well into the new year, I have found new inspiration to work on a new blanket with a brighter multicolor yarn for my goddaughter/niece and since started this second blanket, I have been so obsessed that I spent from about 4 pm to about 5 am this morning working on it. I've gotten about 4 hours of sleep since and after entertaining a friend for a few hours, going out to get an energy drink (yeah I know, it's bad for me...) and doing housework with my youngest nephew underfoot, I find myself on this forum and working on the blanket again.

Somehow despite how long it may take for me to finish the blanket, I am driven to spend every moment possible to work on it. My goddaughter/niece is only a little more than a year old, and the mere thought of her having it for years and years, keeping her wee little body warm in the winter, using it as a tent, a curtain, a picnic blanket, etc drives me on to keep working on it. I'm completely obsessed. I couldn't even stop while I was talking to my mother on the phone.

Yes, the early stages of a relationship (even one with yarn and hook) are like that!

I too was mildly obsessed in the beginning. Then took a looong break and resumed when I discovered prayer shawls. Then it was lapghans for VA hospitals.

Enjoy the obsession and don;t get lost in you soon to be out of control STASH!

I get that way about most new projects. The problem comes when a new new project replaces the old. :lol (Though for me, sometimes picking up an old project for the first time in months can feel like starting a new project too)

I'm completely obsessed with crocheting, which is what makes the holidays wonderful because I have an excuse to spend many hours with my hook and yarn!

I just love the idea of creating something.

It also reminds me of why God loves me, even though I'm imperfect. Just as I love all my projects, He loves me.

It's great inspiration.

I was obsessive about crochet for the first five years and then I put it away for almost ten years. I've picked it up again and again am obsessive about it - if I'm not doing the daily stuff that needs to be done, I'm crochetting or looking for patterns/stitches on-line or surfing the boards. And every time I pick it up I'm amazed all over again at how something useful or pretty is woven out of a single strand of yarn.

I taught myself using a ball of thread and a tiny hook from a friend's mom and by following a doily pattern in Magic Crochet. My mom still has that doily...and I'm getting the urge to do a thread project again!

Right now I've got a long list of projects that I want to get done for the holidays and for my girls. That keeps me going, and semi obsessed, but I actually just enjoy crocheting and it relaxes me. Now that I have carved out the time I will probably be looking for projects if I ever complete everything on the list.

if I'm not doing the daily stuff that needs to be done, I'm crochetting or looking for patterns/stitches on-line or surfing the boards. And every time I pick it up I'm amazed all over again at how something useful or pretty is woven out of a single strand of yarn.

I am the same way! I love crocheting! I am a bit slow right now because I am making squares that I have found to be a boring to make when you have to make sooooo many, But I keep going because I keep picturing the person who I making it for, and that keeps me going!

Archived