Help! My Boy Hats Look Girly!

Sue89

Question

I've been making caps for my niece and three nephews, and I'm concerned that my boy hats won't look boyish enough. At this point I honestly can't tell what looks feminine and what doesn't anymore. I think maybe I need to use a smaller hook so the stitches won't look too lacy.

Any advice on how to make a cap look more boyish? I'm not worried about the 6 year old, but the other two boys are sixth graders and I would hate for them to get teased for wearing a girly-looking hat.

9 answers to this question

I had a problem with that too, I wasn't at all happy with the hat I needed for my nephew. I ended up using the Super Simple Hat pattern for him and it at least made me happy. For me it was the vertical stripes that kept it from looking too girly. :sweat

You know, I have found that with a lot of hats but, If you make them in their team colors (football, baseball etc. ) that helps a lot too.

I did it without the pompom. I ran the yarn to gather it through the gap between the ch2 and the first hdc, usually at the start of the row there's a little space. It didn't leave much at the top to cover (I was worried too), so I managed to keep it off. I ran the yarn needle back and forth in all directions several times across the top to keep it tight, then buried it securely and called it done. I was pleased how it came out. :))

logan.jpg

Sue... I was worried about this too. I made hats and scarves for the nieces... and an Elmo hat for the 2 y/o... but the 11 y/o??? what to do?

I ended up doing a scarf and a simple cap like Julie described... in Camoflage yarn. Very Boy... I think he'll love them.

I can hear my nephew like he was standing right here beside me: Boys are blue!! I don't argue. I did look for the blue camo but couldn't find any so he got blue out of my stash. :))

Thanks, everyone. I used a dark sage green and did a simple cuffed cap using a smaller hook so it wouldn't be quite so open looking. I had a blue variegated but my mother told me she thought variegated looked feminine so I got paranoid and used it for my niece instead.

Julie your cap looks great. If they don't like what I made them I may take another crack at it with that pattern. Actually, I've got enough time that I may try a few more before Christmas and see what I come up with (if I still have the energy).

Archived