Gothic Cross Bookmarks

Yarnluver

Last year, when I was contemplating returning to crochet, I bought a little book called "Reader's Choice Bookmarks" and different colors of #10 thread and laid them aside hoping for the right "mood" to strike me to relearn all I'd forgotten. Blessedly, last March I got the motivation and dug out my then meager crochet supplies, however, for some reason I felt making bookmarks would be difficult so I put it off. Then in May I finally decided to try my first one, a "gothic" cross. I had a little trouble interpreting the pattern and had to 'improvise' but loved the results so when I had to travel overseas to see my sick mother I decided to roll all my threads into balls and placed them in a gallon-size ziploc bag so they'd occupy less space in my luggage. I was very glad I did because during the 4 weeks I was there crochet was virtually my only source of "entertainment", and during that time I made several of these in different colors and gave them as mementos to my two sisters, one of my nieces, one of the nurses, a couple of friends, and a cousin. Once back here I made my daughter one, sent one to a C'ville member, and these are so a new friend I have can choose two when I go visit her hopefully very soon.

(Image is clickable)

th_GothicCrossBookmarks.jpg

oh they are very pretty. I agree with Beth, crochet really is a stress relief. I'm not sure what I would do if I didn't have something to relieve my stress from work, and dealing with things around the house, and just sometimes every day life!!!!

Thank you all for your kind words.

Yes, crochet is indeed a great stress reliever, I consider it a gift from God having gotten inspired to return to it after many years of "absence". I had to go back to the Dominican Republic at the end of July for 10 days during which my mother passed away and crochet helped me keep my sanity during those very hard days. However, after I returned here I didn't feel like doing anything at all for a good while but since I'd promised some afghan squares to another C'ville member I got my hooks and yarn out and although I did a lot of frogging it actually was a much needed distraction. I did worry for a while though because I didn't seem to get enthused about finding or starting new projects or finishing old ones and prior to my mother's passing you could say I was obsessed but, thankfully, lately I've been getting "my groove" back and I'm enjoying making new things.

Thank you! I had trouble interpreting the instructions for the border so I had to improvise, the good thing is that no one can know the difference!

Archived