To edge or not?

I just finished a beautiful afghan made of two rows of bobbles, two rows of double crochet, repeated. very simple, but very nice looking.

the question I have is....the pattern does not call for any edging or border on it. just some fringe. I find I like a border, it makes it more finished looking...

What is a good border/edge for a afghan just to make it look neat and finished? I don't want anything lacy...should I just single or double all the way around it?

what do you think?

I like a reverse single (crab stitch) for a neat and simple border. I'm not a fringe fan.

I really like the reverse single crochet as well.. very pretty, but simple. I wouldn't use dc unless the stitches were very tight and small. I think sc is very nice if you don't want it to be too frilly or take away from the rest of the afghan.. especially if the afghan pattern is simple.

Wow, I learn so much from this forum!! I have never heard of the reverse single, so I looked it up on youtube. It is perfect for a border! Thank you all so very much!! I had no idea! the tutorials on youtube are fantastic for learning a new stitch! Thank God for the internet!

**doing happy dance....**

Doing edging or any amount of it, seems to have gone out of style. Look at older blankets and afghans, and you'll often see many rounds of edging on blankets and afghans because people tend to grab them at the edge and yank, pull, or drag them. This can distort and stretch all your hard work.

I always do a minimum of three rounds of single crochet to get stability on the edge. Often I do more.

I love a border on a blanket. To me it just looks neater and more finished. I'm not really creative with my borders yet though, I tend to either single crochet, hdc, or do like a shelled edging. Fringes are nice, but not me. I tend to get my toes tangled in them somehow!!!!

that's what I love about this forum....you can ask a question and get so many replies where people feel the same as you do!! I am so happy to know that I am not alone in the "don't like fringe, but need a border" type!

thank you for your replies! you all are so awesome! {{{HUGS}}}

Archived