What did I get myself into?

We went shopping for yarn and a few other things at one of our local Walmarts and the craft section was really pitiful. I mean moreso than I remember it being from the last time I was there. But anyway, so I had to get some yarn there today because I have a few lengthy projects I want to do for Christmas gifts and it's nice to get started ASAP. I wasn't very happy with my selection, but I did find some really fuzzy yarn that I thought would make a great scarf. It is SO soft! It looks like a big cotton ball and I think it will feel absolutely wonderful around my neck... IF I ever get it crocheted! lol I have never tried using chenille, suede, or anything other than the regular WW or baby sport yarn and the largest hook size I have right now is a K. lol I have managed to get roughly 2-3 rows done with just 20 stitches in an intuitive "this is where I think the stitch is" sort of way. This may take me awhile to get to scarf length, but at the same time it's really fuzzy so it seems to be working up nicely. I was just wondering if any of you have any tips for working with this type of yarn?

I am almost done making a chenille scarf and I did mine a little differently this time. Instead of going in the stitches, I went between them. That way I could just feel for the space and go from there. Worked up much faster and looks great.

Well with the lion brand chenille I use a sizeG H or I. For lion brand lion chenille thick and quick I use a K. and for the suede I use also use a G,H, or I. you dont really need a second yarn with those, at least I dont use one. I also love the feel of them. I still have some I have no idea what I am going to use them for.

For really fluffy type yarns where I've had a lot of trouble seeing where the chains are, I usually either carry another strand of plain yarn with it, or stick to an open stitch (like V stitch) so that the only row that will give me trouble is the foundation row.

I tried to crochet a scarf from fun fur... once. Just once. Although I am an experienced crocheter it was a huge mess. I was holding it up to the light to find the place to put my hook. Arrrrrgggghhhh. I will knit with it because the stitches sit on the needle where you can see them but even that is not "fun" to me.

Archived