Acrylic yarn for hot pads?

Ambersafghans

Question

8 answers to this question

I had the same question! I was using a pattern for hot pads that specifically called for red heart. It was a red heart booklet in fact. I wrote the company and they told me that it was all right and something off the stove would NOT be hot enough. I made one and boiled a pot of water and set it on the hot pad and it seemed ok. I didn't try it again though.

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gif3Olives hast the best of it. Wool will smolder for a second and then go out. Cotton will burn, but generally puts itself out right after too much damage is done to salvage the hot pad/mitt! :rofl

My biggest problems with acrylic (beyond the possible melting thing) is it doesn't insulate well. So, in order to make it safe enough to use and insure against burns, it becomes so bulky and very slippery if any grease/oil gets on it. It's plastic, so it won't absorb the grease and it just makes a nice slidy thing! :D .

Although I'm sure you can use acrylic, I'd vote for wool, then cotton.

I have a pattern for a "double thick" potholder on my homepage. It is probably better with wool, but I have always done it in cotton, and people swear that these potholders will not let your hands burn. My mother-in-law just asked for more for her birthday this year. The lovely thing about using cotton is you can wash them in the machine along with your tea towels. I do tend to get sloppy messes on my hotpads. The one shown on my pattern page is now about six years old and still in almost-daily use. (It's pink and white now, tho! It faded from washing.)

I own another type of double-thick potholder which was given me as a gift, done with acrylic scraps. I always used it to pad the tabletop from warmish dishes. I never tried removing something from the oven with it - I'm not brave enough!

Archived