What do you suggest?

Because I'm still beginner I would like to know at what point should I try making things like sweaters or anything wearable?

I know how to make the basic things like scarfs, potholders ...flowers.. just the easy ones. Eventually I would like to try making a sweater. My mother says not to make sweaters and that it's cheaper to buy one..

I absolutely adore making sweaters. Yes, perhaps you can buy one cheaper at Walmart or something, but I find crocheted ones keep you MUCH warmer.

Also, the beauty of this is that, once you get good at wearables, you can customize them according to your body type. For instance, I like sweaters to be longer than what I usually can find in a store, and I find my arms are a little shorter than the norm. Also, you can pick out whatever color you want in the way of yarn, not just settle for whatever colors the store-bought sweaters come in.

I found a really easy pattern here:

http://www.bhg.com/crafts/knitting/wearables/the-craze-to-cast-on/?page=5

It calls for Wool-ease Sport (which I don't think exists anymore), but I'm guessing you could probably substitute another DK or Sport yarn.

Also, if you check out the books and pamplets in Michaels, AC Moore, Joanns, etc. you can find patterns for easy sweaters.

I bought a couple books that were on clearance at a craft shop down the street from here before they went out of business few months ago and when we have charity fundraisers at work (Safeway) People donate books for us to sell .. and I bought crochet pattern books for $1 each.. which have patterns for accessories and kitchen items. BTW thanks for posting that link, I'm going to give it a try!

Here's another one I found, that I might just use with all my leftover half-balls and scraps:

http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Crafts/Crocheting/Striped-Pullover.html

FYI...One really good crochet sweater designer is Melissa Leapman. She puts out both knit and crochet books. I've done a few of her crocheted sweaters and they came out really well.

Just a suggestion. You may want to try a baby sweater first before trying to make one for an adult. There's a couple reasons for this.

1. It gives you the experience on how to make a sweater, but it will be done quickly and you can see how your skills rate for making wearables. You may need to learn more stitches, different techniques and other things before you tackle an adult sweater.

2. It will feel good to be able to accomplish an item and be able to have something to show for your efforts quickly. A large sweater may take a while and sometimes it can be discouraging when it seems like it takes a lot longer than planned.

I would also try a baby sweater that starts with a yoke and goes down from there. The reason I say that, is because once you get the yoke made, you start to make openings for sleeves, and then you work on the body of the sweater. When the body part is done, you just go back to the openings and make the sleeves right onto the garment. To me, that's easier, than making seperate sleeves and sewing them on.

Good luck in making the wearables. They are nice to give as gifts.

:manyheart

Just a suggestion. You may want to try a baby sweater first before trying to make one for an adult. There's a couple reasons for this.

1. It gives you the experience on how to make a sweater, but it will be done quickly and you can see how your skills rate for making wearables. You may need to learn more stitches, different techniques and other things before you tackle an adult sweater.

2. It will feel good to be able to accomplish an item and be able to have something to show for your efforts quickly. A large sweater may take a while and sometimes it can be discouraging when it seems like it takes a lot longer than planned.

I would also try a baby sweater that starts with a yoke and goes down from there. The reason I say that, is because once you get the yoke made, you start to make openings for sleeves, and then you work on the body of the sweater. When the body part is done, you just go back to the openings and make the sleeves right onto the garment. To me, that's easier, than making seperate sleeves and sewing them on.

Good luck in making the wearables. They are nice to give as gifts.

:manyheart

I totally agree with this. I made a knit sweater and wasn't terribly familiar with getting my gauge swatch right (tho I thought I did, I still miscounted) and it took a long time and ended up unwearable due to being too big (was off-the shoulder).

Because I'm still beginner I would like to know at what point should I try making things like sweaters or anything wearable?

I know how to make the basic things like scarfs, potholders ...flowers.. just the easy ones. Eventually I would like to try making a sweater. My mother says not to make sweaters and that it's cheaper to buy one..

Your mom may be right in that it's cheaper to buy a sweater than it is to crochet one if you buy it at a place like WalMart, but you don't get the satisfaction of making it yourself or the pride of wearing it and having people compliment something that you made, either. Sometimes it's not always about saving money, but about a feeling of accomplishment and the pride of having created something beautiful. :)

Your mom sounds just like mine :).

If you take into account the estimated rate per hour of your time, even leisure time, plus the equipment required plus the cost of yarn, anything you crochet is likely to be found cheaper somewhere (especially if, like me, your leisure time is priceless :D).

It's not about the cost of buying a pre-made item versus the cost of making it, it's all in the value you put on the enjoyment you get from crafting something out of "nothing".

You've got to try it! It is not as hard as you would think. Find a pattern with stitches you know and give it a try! It may be cheaper to buy one, but a handmade sweater is always so much nicer and you have a sense of accomplishment and pride when done. Also, when giving as a gift, I tell people I thought of them all the while I made it! :manyheart

Okay ladies, I finally worked up enough courage and I bought a new pattern for a poncho .. I decided it was really pretty and I wanted to make it.. I have 4 days off next week and it should be done in 2 days .. I just ordered abunch of yarn .. sound familiar?? lol... after I make the poncho I'm going to start on a blanket. Hence the abunch of yarn part.

I say go for it now! The very first project I made when I learned, was a short vest with long fringe (okay, don't laugh, it was the '70's at the time!). Crocheting is crocheting. It's the same stitches. The only difference with making clothing, is the shaping. You can do it!

Archived