Question about knitting

aggieterpkatie

Hi everyone. I realize this is called Crochetville, but I am having a hard time finding a good knitting/fulling forum. I have knitted several things, and they felted fairly well, but I can still see the stitches. Does anyone know how to fix this? Both pieces were felted in the washer, with some soap and hot water. I also put one piece in the dryer to see if that would help. They look fine now, but I'd love to make something where you can't see the stitches.

I'm just using the regular knitting stitch. Would purling work better? I'm using fairly large needles because I've heard items with loose stitches felt better.

If anyone could help me I'd really be grateful! :D

Your hot water may not be all that hot. Consider increasing the temp on your hot water heater a couple of hours before you felt (expensive) OR boil a big pot water (yes, boil) and add that to the water in the machine (cheaper). Some towels or jeans for extra friction will help, too.

I will just add--when you felt to the point where the stitches are no longer visible, your item will shrink almost 50%, so be prepared for that.

One more thing--if your stitches are too tight, the yarn doesn't felt as well. There has to be room for them to move and rub against each other, and room for them to shrink (if that makes sense).

This is my second year to be using a felted bag that is like that, and it is very strong and looks as good as new.

:cheerStocking stitch, 1 row Knit, 1 row Purl, will felt better than all Knit.

It will be smoother.

To make it felt a little better, put a pot scrubber in the washing machine with the item.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

If you're looking for a knitting forum, we have two "special interest usergroups" related to knitting here at Crochetville.

Since many members are not necessarily interested in knitting, these groups are available by free subscription only. To find the groups, just click your "User CP" link in the dark blue navigation bar at the top of any forum page.

From there, scroll down and on the left click the link for Group Memberships. You'll then see the groups listed, with a description of each. Just click a button to join.

Once you join, the knitting folder(s) will appear on the main page of Crochetville just like all our other folders do. If you use the "New Posts" feature to see what's new here, threads from those folders will appear there, too. Basically, once you join, the folders work just like every other folder here at Crochetville.

If you're looking for a knitting forum, we have two "special interest usergroups" related to knitting here at Crochetville.

Since many members are not necessarily interested in knitting, these groups are available by free subscription only. To find the groups, just click your "User CP" link in the dark blue navigation bar at the top of any forum page.

From there, scroll down and on the left click the link for Group Memberships. You'll then see the groups listed, with a description of each. Just click a button to join.

Once you join, the knitting folder(s) will appear on the main page of Crochetville just like all our other folders do. If you use the "New Posts" feature to see what's new here, threads from those folders will appear there, too. Basically, once you join, the folders work just like every other folder here at Crochetville.

Thanks for posting this Amy! I had no idea we have knitting forums here. :cheer

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I tried a different yarn, and it felted beautifully!! It actually felted too much! :lol I used a much thinner merino yarn. Now I know why they say to check it every few minutes. The other yarn I used was a 50% wool blend. The label said it felted, but it just didn't felt as much as I thought it would. Now I know to stick to that merino yarn. It's awesome! :clap

Archived