Ideal dimensions for place mats?

What do you think the ideal dimensions are for place mats? I like rectangular, as I find them more practical than oval.

I find most placemats too small. I like to have plenty of room for the place settings.

Thought I'd run this by you all before I start up something and then frog it twice or thrice.

Thanks.

I personally like to take the basic pattern for a placemat and then make it wider, as I find they are never wide enough.

What you can do is perhaps start the pattern, then lay out a place setting and lay out what you've done so far to see if the mat is wide enough.

Lay out a place setting on a large sheet of paper and draw around it the shape/size you think looks good. Measure it, rounding off to even inches. I made one that way when I was learning to :crocheting in rows. It was a little lopsided, but my grammie used it (they love anything you make :lol).

Ellie 13

What do you think the ideal dimensions are for place mats? I like rectangular, as I find them more practical than oval.

I find most placemats too small. I like to have plenty of room for the place settings.

Thought I'd run this by you all before I start up something and then frog it twice or thrice.

Thanks.

These are some place mats I recently finished and I am just the opposite, I prefer the round or oval ones. These are 13" but could be made larger if you wanted.

placemats001.jpg?t=1220397265

Archived