yarn weights/hook sizes

Do you have to go by the hook size on the yarn label?Could you just go by the pattern recommended yarn and hook size and if you don't get gauge or want to use a different hook size you can use the recommened us hook and yarn weight sysem?:think

Some patterns tell you to use a 4ply yarn with a 4.50 us 7 g and the yarn weight system says that a 4.50 mm is under a 3ply weightyarn?

I don't get it?What do you guys think?

I think you can use whatever hook you want to get the look and feel you want to achieve.

If you are working a pattern where the dimensions of the finished piece are important, I think you need to use the recommended yarn (or as close to that as you can), and swatch first and use whatever hook will get the correct gauge, so that the finished garment or whatever will be the right size.

For US yarns I don't think ply is the best way to tell size.

The hook size on the label is a very loose recommendation. Sometimes it's just plain wrong. For ex. the Hobby Lobby sweet bee baby bee yarn...like bernat softee...calls for a J hook! It's a sport weight yarn. the label is obviously wrong. I've seen labels where the knitting needle size and the hook size differ by a couple of mm (5mm knit to 8mm hook crochet!) So alot of it is what you know works for you with the size of the yarn, like what magiccrochetfan said, what effect you're going for. For me, if I'm making something to stuff with WW, I will use a G (4.0 to 4.5mm) hook to keep it tight enough.

Fortunately, you can usually find out the accurate weight of the yarn, to determine your hook size.

If you have a pattern calling for a certain hook, I start there, and move up or down sizes as I need to meet gauge, if gauge is going to be important, as in wearables. If gauge won't matter (like an afghan for example) and the hook they give is WAY to "tight" for me, I adapt...and make sure I have enough yarn to compensate. (Bigger hook for same pattern = more yarn used)

This is all based on my personal experience, btw, and on USA yarns...

HTH :D

Archived