How do you wash?

When I washed a baby blanket to send, it came out looking pretty fuzzy. How do you wash yours? I have not had a problem with this before. Bernat softee baby yarn is new, so it may be the yarn. I have done it in Bernat baby soft previouslyl. Softee baby is kind of fluffier. Or it could be that I am too rough with it. I washed it in my machine with less soap than usual and for a short-short wash. Then I put it in the dryer on delicate.

I wash and dry everything I make. Cold wash and rinse, on delicate or hand wash cycle and dry on medium with a couple of dryer sheet. I use cold water for everyhing, the only thing that isn't washed in cold water in our house is our towels.

My mom had always just washed her afghans, then 'blocked' them by throwing them in the dyer for only a couple minutes, then laying it out on towels to try. I am WAY too lazy for that. I wash mine in cold on the delicate cycle with fabric softener, then pitch it in the dryer on low heat. So far, so good....I've never tried that yarn though, so I don't know much about it.

I haven't made anything from Bernat Softee Baby, so I don't know how well it launders. I hope that it typically launders well as well.. anything for a baby is going to need washed a _lot_ and nobody is likely going to have time to handwash everything for a baby.

Hopefully some members here who have used Bernat Softee Baby can give some feedback on how well theirs holds up and how they washed it. :)

I put whatever I'm washing in a zippered pillow case. The one I prefer is for a 'body pillow', so it is nice and long. Wash on gentle/knit cycle, cold water. Usually wash with Woolite, just a dab. I include some towels, to keep the load balanced.

I'll put the item, still in pillow case, in the dryer, gentle cycle, low heat. I may or may not use a softener sheet. For Project Linus, I don't. Most everything else, I will. I'll send it through one cycle in the dryer. When that is done, it may still be a bit damp. If it is really delicate, I'll spread it out on my bed to dry. If it is sturdier, I may drape it over my shower curtain rod.

Everything has come out of this first wash just fine.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I tried to be gentle to it. I know that white yarn is sometimes different than the other colors, isn't it...so that may have been the problem. I will try the pillowcase idea..

Archived