What To Do with Round Ripple...

I hate to sound age ist but I hear this all the time at the parent and toddler group I run, young mums wanting all new designer stuff for babies, I overheard one mum telling another that her mother in law had "hand made" (and she pulled a disgusted face when saying that as if it was a swear word!)a baby outfit..."I put that straight in a charity shop!" she said and they both nodded.....I thought how sad that is that even if this hand made item wasn't to her taste that she should still appreciate the effort put into making it! I think perhaps older mums do appreciate this sort of gesture... if I was you I would donate it or gift it to someone who would really appreciate the effort you put into this rr! its sad but people want designer clothes and all the trimmings.

That is just horrible. What got me the most is that this girl is 20 or 21 and a 16 year old was more impressed and understood how special homemade things are than her and so did our friend who is a guy her same age! Considering the comments people have made that she is a brat and such I'm sure some of the attitude has to come from upbringing also.

Thanks.

I think you should donate it to NICU or hold on to it for awhile. Sooner or later you will find just the right person to give it to who will love and appreciate it.

Her response to her friends tells me that she wouldn't care for the blanket and it would probably end up at the Salvation Army or in a garage sale for $0.25 in a year. Send the blanket to charity, you could even send it in her (or her baby's) name if that would make you feel better about it.

I would definitely donate it to NICU.

I've always loved home-made items...I don't buy comforters or blankets for my bed because I'm lucky enough to have several of my mom's and grandmothers' hand-made quilts. I wouldn't trade those for all the designer stuff in the world! I still have the crochet baby blanket my mom's friend made for me packed up in my hope chest...I think it means more to me than most the other stuff in there.

I understand what everyone is saying about the girl being well, rude but remember, it isn't for the girl it's for the BABY.

I understand what everyone is saying about the girl being well, rude but remember, it isn't for the girl it's for the BABY.

that was the 10% of me that wasn't sure what to do. my impression is that the baby would probably never be wrapped in it even if i gave it to her. i've found another "home" for it.

I remember when I was younger I was always complaining to my friend that all the blankets in her house were scratchy. She finally told me one day that her gma had made them all. Now I put the work in myself, I can say I have a total new appreciation, and I only give my blankets to people I think will appreciate them. And I am careful to make them in fabrics that are soft and wash well if I can so they aren't scratchy. Everyone I have made a crocheted baby blanket has been complimentary about it, however most of them have seen the effort that it takes to make them from seeing me work.

I am glad you found a new home for it, and its better this way than her taking it and then not using it!!!!!!!!

My concern when I make anything for a gift is will the person really like it. Are they saying they like it just because it's homemade or do they really like it? I know that my friends truely do and are thankful for the time I have spent to make something with them in mind.

It sounds like a new home is the best place for your blanket.

Archived