More Questions..

Janie

Question

OK, my question is about filet crochet, something that I've never done, but would love to try.

I see many sites have free graphs posted. Am I correct that any crocheted item that uses those graphs is considered filet. I use to think that filet was only the intricate dolies that use filet....Please straighten my jumbled brain out on this one.

Also: Can anyone recommend the best possible source for learning filet? Or, tell me how YOU learned it? Thanks so much for your time.

6 answers to this question

Yes, filet crochets uses the graphs. It's fairly simple, once you get the hang of it. I'm not an "expert" on it. I have made two filet projects, one being a crocheted name for a wedding..and the other I used a filet graph, but used regular yarn and a big hook to make an afghan. The hardest part is learning to use the tiny hooks and yarn!

I learned by trial and error basically. But I did have a beginners book that helped alot! Just get out your hook and give it a whirl :)

Donna

http://www.hassdesign.com/BasicFiletTechniques/

I learned at this site. They also have free print patterns up to advanced patterns. I highly recommend it. If you have any questions feel free to IM me. Its easy once you get the hang of it.

I have a horse filet pic on my blog if you wanna see. Also when you get it down, name doilies are really easy to make too!

GOOD LUCK!

Stacey:hook

I am working on a Filet project right now for a friend who is getting married (June 18!:eek) I am doing their last name inside a rectangular border with hearts and checks around. It is going relatively quickly...I am more than half done and have only been working on it for three days! I did one for myself and my hubby before we got married, and that one took forever! Both of these are done in #10 thread with a #7 steel hook. I also did a cat afghan years ago in WW...Filet seems intimidating, but it is really very simple - just chains and double crochet! Will post a pic of these when I get done!

Donna, Stacey & Sunshine:

Thanks so much for all your replies and info. I will put it to good use, (I hope).

Sunshine: I am dying to see your filet crochet. I would love to do our last name that way for a wall hanging! DH would love it! Is that what you do with them (wall hanging)?

Of course you can hang them...they look very nice with a darker mat :) You can also, instead of stiffening them, use them as a doily!

Good luck :) I think it really is just trial and error...getting use to the smaller hook and thread! You will do fine :)

Donna

Yes, mine are planned as wallhangings...the one I am making as a gift is a smaller size, and I have my eye on a frame that is two pieces of glass held together with clips...I will put a dark "mat" behind it when it is framed...The one I made for our home is a little larger and will have to be custom framed...just waiting for Michael's or Hobby Lobby to run "50% off your entire frame job" at the same time I have the money to get it done!:lol Somewhere in this house I have a really neat pattern book for these - several different alphabets and several different borders to put together...now if I could just find it!! I have a feeling it is in our storage room which is almost floor to ceiling packed full of Christmas decorations and various boxes of other "stuff"...I will run across it one of these days and put it with the rest of my patterns!!

Still not finished with the gift one...this was not a good week to come down with a terrible cold/flu, or whatever it is...I have barely been able to work, much less crochet!! Hopefully I can finish it tomorrow afternoon/evening since I won't HAVE to work...

Archived