Help with Word.docs for patterns???

Helllllllpppppp!!!

When typing in WOrD, I am very sure that I should be able to assign a key so that when I hit (e.g.) [ctrl] + 2 it would type out the words:

"hdc in 2nd ch from hook".

This would be immensely helpful to me as typing my patterns is the hardest part there is. :(:blush

Does someone know how to do this and can you explain it carefully to a technopeasant? :think

I tried doing this with help from clippy in the program but he really doesn't get what it means to be a technopeasant. :rofl

Would it be easier to train my self to type " xyz " and just make the change with search and replace?:yes:no

This typing patterns is a real challenge for me and I am trying to find ways to make it as painless as possible. :crocheting

You could run a macro.

If you have 2007, which is what I'm using, it's real easy.

Open a blank document.

Click on the Developer ribbon.

Click on Record Macro

Type in a name (it looks like you can't do a number in front, so you can do that in the back)

Type the pattern stitch.

click on Stop Recording Macro

When you want to use a certain macro, you just click on Macros (the big button). It will list the ones you have so you can choose which ever one you want and it inserts it.

Let me see how to do the control buttons, I'm not sure on that. I'm just learning 2007 and you just made me figure out how to do a macro (now everyone at my work will want to know, thanks a lot:angry

:lol)

Debbi

Duh.:blush

Same place for keyboard shortcuts.

In 2007,

Go to Developer on the ribbon.

Click on Record Macro

Choose Keyboard for a keyboard shortcut (looks like a keyboard)

Choose the keyboard shortcut you want (like Control-1 for "Round 1")

Click Close

Type in the information you want.

Click on Stop Recording Macro.

Test the feature.

I hope this helps.

Debbi

Oh for the macro names you can't do spaces either, at least it didn't allow me. Sorry. So for Round 1, you would have to type, Round1.

You may want to figure out what you want for rounds and rows before you begin. I did 1 for Round 1, so now I would have to come up with something for Row 1.

Debbi

In my MS Word menu, I can go to Tools and click on AutoCorrect.

There are a couple of boxes that say something like, "Replace ___" with "___."

You could put "hdc" in the replace box, for example, and "hdc in 2nd ch from hook" in the replace-with box. Everytime you write "hdc" it should insert "hdc in 2nd ch from hook."

I'm on a Mac, but it should be the same, I'd think.

Thank you, thank you thank you! I now have my macro.

:ghug

yah gotta love this place... how many others can I create? Muwahahahahahah

Really appreciate this one and those who follow my patterns will too.

:ty

I tried doing this with help from clippy in the program but he really doesn't get what it means to be a technopeasant. :rofl

Clippy?? :rofl I didn't know he had a name! I miss him. He's gone from my newest Word program. Just a boring ol' box popping up now. :(:lol

• 1 month later...
In my MS Word menu, I can go to Tools and click on AutoCorrect.

There are a couple of boxes that say something like, "Replace ___" with "___."

You could put "hdc" in the replace box, for example, and "hdc in 2nd ch from hook" in the replace-with box. Everytime you write "hdc" it should insert "hdc in 2nd ch from hook."

I'm on a Mac, but it should be the same, I'd think.

Yes it would work the same on a PC. In 2007, though the Auto correct is under the Big Office Button, Word Options, Proofing and then Auto Correct. Of course you may want to make them unique, for example "hdc2" for hdc in 2nd ch from hook and maybe "hdc2s" for "hdc in next 2 sts" or maybe even shorter. But still the same idea.

And you could always change them with each pattern you do. Just retype the "replace" item and then click on the replace button.

Debbi

Archived