Shell Pattern (3 dc) Stitch

rachelb

Question

It is from this pattern and for some reason I cannot get it right. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Can someone please help. My friends little girls b-day party is sunday and I wanted to have this done. Looked easy enough, I know I should not have waited so long to make it.

Especially with row 2. I end up starting with 5 dc (since it says to do it in next stitch). I have now done 2 samples and neither of them are right.

Thanks in advance!

Rachel

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_needlework_crochet/article/0,1789,HGTV_3260_2820290,00.html

12 answers to this question

:cheerCan you elaborate on the pattern a little more please?

It would be great if you posted the full pattern row and maybe even the rows before and after it.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

The pattern is in the link below her name. I think. If not, please correct me. But from that pattern here's my thoughts.

It looks like they made a mistake. They forgot the first sc in the middle dc in the shell, after the first 2 dc.

Because you should be doing 3 dc in each sc and a sc in the middle dc of the 3.

Row 2: 2dc in 1st st, sc in middle of 3 dc from last row,*3dc in next stitch, .....

did that help?

The problem is not you, it's the pattern, which is full of errors. I've been reading a lot of complaints on line lately about errors in Candi Jensen patterns, and I can see why.

First let's look at the shell pattern: in Row 1, if you rep between asterisks as the pattern says, you will be ending with a "skip next st, ch 3 turn. Can't be. It has to end with an sc before the turning ch.

In Row 2, you don't work 3 dc in the next st as it says.

In Row 3, no turning ch is given. Here's a rewrite for you to try. I don't guarantee it will work, but it's my best try.

Instructions

Ch 46 (52, 56, 62) depending on size you are making.

Foundation Row: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each rem ch across; ch 1, turn.

Row 1: Sc in first st;* skip next st, work 3 dc in next st (shell made), skip next st, sc in next st; rep from * across, ch 3 (counts as first dc of shell on following row) turn.

Row 2:Work 2 dc in first st (counting the turning ch, this will give you 3 sts

in the first st, or a shell); * sc in center dc of 3-dc shell in previous row, work 3 dc in next sc; rep from * across, ch 1, turn.

Row 3: Skip first dc, sc in next dc (center dc of 3-dc shell); *3 dc in next sc, sc in center dc of next 3-dc shell; ch 3, turn.

Rep Rows 2 and 3 until piece measures 1" (1 1/2", 2", 2 1/2"), ending by

working a Row 2.

Try this and see if it helps.

Depending on the size you are making, the starting chain may have to be adjusted, and you may have to change the armhole shaping, but you should be able to figure out the pattern by then.

Maybe Darski will have a better take on this! Good luck!

Jean Leinhauser

http://www.creativepartnersllc.com

Thank you for attempting the rewrite. After 4 tries today I am calling it a day before I end up with a headache. I will try it again tomorrow and let you all know how it comes out (or doesn't) :)

-Rachel

:thinkNow I can see where the pattern is, I will give it a go to see if I can get it to work.

It is Thursday evening here so I will do it as soon as I have had my dinner.

Hang on in there.

:cheerOK, this is how it should read.

46CH, work SC into 2nd CH from hook, 1SC into each Ch to the end. (45SC)

Now work the Shell pattern to the required length.

Changes from here will be in red.

Row 1: sc into 1st stitch, skip next stitch * 3dc into next st (shell made), skip next st, sc in next st, skip next stitch* repeat between * to end, ch 3 turn

Row 2: 1DC into base of CH3, *(Removed a bit here) sc in middle of 3 dc from last row* repeat between * ending 2 dc in last st, ch1 turn

Row 3: SC into same place as CH1 *3dc in next SC, sc in middle of 3 dc from last row* ending sc in last st.

Repeat 2nd and 3rd rows for pattern

My explanation: The CH3 and 1DC at the start of row 2 is a half shell and corresponds with the 2DC at end of this row so you are alternately staring and ending each row with either a SC or a half shell.

If you follow this, you should be fine but you will need to work out the pattern again when you get to the armholes because the pattern seems a little off there too.

I would not break the yarn off at this point but would SL ST to the place I need to be and then work to you need to go to.

(8 Shells and 2 half shells)

Let me know if this is helpful to you.

Have fun.

PS, the turning Ch is at the end of each row of the pattern and it alternates between 3CH on the row that has the half shell and 1CH then the SC at the start and end of the next row.

2536163557OK so I finshed the dress and even though my guage was on for what it said, the dress does not look 12 months to me, or 1yr as the pattern says. I out it on my daughter whom is 21 months but wears 18 months..... So I may crochet some side ties for it.

It in on my flickr page since I cannot figure how to get the pics to show up in the thread itself. (Anyone know?)

Niya's dress 003

:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer

:cheerI think it worked out beautifully.

:cheerYou made and excellent job and in the process, you discovered you did not really need a pattern after all.

:cheerFrom now on, you will be able to take any stitch and work the shape of yoke you need for the wee frock and end up with an original idea.

Have fun.

Archived