Casey Stocking Cap

ChayaSar

I was recently put in contact with a woman named Beth by another member here at the ville. Beth is stronger than I think I'll ever be, she's the mom of 2 amazing boys, her youngest Casey, suffers from a rare and incurable disease called Epidermolysis Bullosa. Casey is about the cutest little boy I've ever seen, and when I first heard about him I knew I wanted to make him something. His mom said that no one she knows has ever made him anything because they are afraid that it will irritate his skin, and cause him harm. All she wanted for him was a Stocking Cap, so she could take a picture of Casey and his older brother in matching winter hats! A request so simple, so pure hearted simply can't go ignored and unfulfilled, and I got to work. I couldn't find a pattern for a crocheted one, so I made this up as I went. I hope you all like it, and I hope more of them are made for the special kids in your life!

The size is toddler sized, I'll adjust this as i make them for my own children to show the needs of bigger heads :)

th_DSC01189.jpg

Materials:

WW yarn in 2 colors (i used Caron Simply Soft for the one shown)

Size F crochet hook

Tapestry needle

Scissors or circle cutter

Instructions:

With Color A Ch 85

Row 1: Dc in 3rd ch from hook and each ch across.Do Not turn. Sl st to 1st DC being sure not to twist the row (83 sts)

Rnd 1: Ch 2 (does not count as 1st st ever). DC in same st and each st around. Change to color B in last st, join with sl st to 1st DC.

Rnd 2: Ch 2, DC in same st and each st around, sl st to 1st dc

Rnd 3: ch 2, HDC in same st and ea st around, sl st to 1st hdc

Rnd 4-5: Repeat round 3, changing to color A in last st of rnd 5.

Rnd 6-9: Repeat rnd 3 chaning to color B in last st of rnd 9

Rnd 10: Repeat rnd 3

Rnd 11: ch 2, hdc 1st 2 sts tog, hdc in ea st around to last 2 sts, hdc last 2 sts tog, sl st to 1st st

Rnd 12-13: Repeat round 11,change to Color A in last st

Rnd 14-15: Repeat round 11

Rnd 16: Repeat rnd 3

Rnd 17-18: repeat rnd 11, Change to Color B in last st

Rnd 19-20: Repeat round 11

Rnd 21: Repeat rnd 3

Rnd 22-23: Repeat round 11, Change to Color A in last st

Rnd 24-26: repeat rnd 11

Rnd 27: Repeat rnd 3

Rnd 28: Repeat round 11, change to Color B in last st

Rnd 29-33:Repeat round 11 Change to Color A in last st

Rnd 34-38: Repeat round 11, Change to Color B in last st

Rnd 39-43: repeat rnd 11, Change to Color A in Last st

Rnd 44-46: repeat rnd 11

Rnd 47-48: decrease around, FO, close the hole and weave in ends.

To Attach the fringe I added 1 strand at a time covering up the top seam until it was the thickness I wanted... I do need a better way, but for now that's how I did it.

This pattern hasn't been tested, so if you find any errors please pm or email me so I can make corrections. Hope you enjoy, thanks!

I'm adding this to my pattern stash. Thanks for sharing ~ both the story and the pattern. I'll keep this family in my prayers.

very touching story and a wonderful hat you designed

thanks for sharing the pattern with us

I will say a prayer for that sweet little boy and his family

Archived