Wishing to knit...

ChasKitty

I really want to learn to knit but do to my disablity I can only handle holding one hook/needle at a time, so that's why I chose crochet.

Does anyone have any idea how I may be able to knit? Is there some sort of contraption that holds one needle for you so you only have to hold one? I don't know much about knitting so I thought I should ask people who know more than me because I'm stuck drawing a blank. I hope there's a way to cos you can do so much more with knitting...

There are great knitting looms out there with pattern books. Maybe you can try this?

I'm unfamiliar with that, so I'll look into it and see if it miht work. Thank You. :)

Here is a link for some books on looms: Annie's Attic The Wal-Mart around here carries them, as does Hobby Lobby, Joann's, and Michaels. If your looking to make sweaters, or blankets, you could even look into knitting machines. They are a bit pricey and large, but you can get a sweater done in 1 day I bet! :lol

Good Luck! :hug

I don't know all the details, but some people do "pit knitting" They put the right needle (kinda long one) into their armpit and hold it there while they knit.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=163513.0

some people also hold one needle between their knees and shuttle the left handed needle as necessary over the "right handed" one. This is how my niece knitted her first scarf. It stabilizes the one needle. Question for you tho, when I'm crocheting, I use both hands....do you not use both to crochet? Knitting is similar to crochet (right handed description) in that you hold your piece you're making in your left hand and do the stitching with the right.....in knitting, the holding is similar but 2 needles instead of your project in the one and the hook in the other. Were I you, I would see if there are any local knitters who could tutor...it may be easier than you imagine, and good luck to you. D

when crocteting I hold the hook with a cuff over my right hand and wrap the yarn around my entire left hand for tension and control.. But if I had to have both hands with a cuff and needle I'd have no way left to giude the yarn from falling off the point of the needle and such. olding one between my knees may just work, I'll need to pick up some needles and try.

Is there something i could try with to avoid buying needles in case it turns out I can't?

Go to a LYS (local yarn store) if you can. They often offer free needles to try the gauge blocks, that way a person can figure out which needle size to go right with the yarn's gauge. Or find someone who own a pair of needles. I would go for the LYS idea as they provide different needle size, from slim to thick.

I suggest the continental method where a knitter use the left hand to hold yarn/needle, much like the crocheter. The right hand do very little movement. American method is good with right handed knitters, usually taught to beginners because of better control over stitches on needles. I am sure you will find a style that will suit you better. :yes

I am not sure how the cuff work with the right needle. Will the new created stitches get in the way on right needle ?

When I first started to knit (looooong time ago), I put one needle between my legs - don't know if that is possible for you but just another suggestion. :manyheart

http://www.heartdesign.co.uk

Not sure if this KnittingAid is what you're looking for, but it might be of use to someone else reading this thread :-) I used to have a link to a table clamp for one handed crochet, but I couldn't locate the site.

If I understand what you mean by a cuff, it kind of rubberbands the hook to your hand, right? I'd imagine that it would interfere with a two handed-two needle technique. Worldwide, though, many cultures knit with only one active needle and the 'recieving needle' is secured under the arm, between the legs, behind the knee (sitting crossed legged), on a special belt, clamped to a table. These are traditional methods for them, and just as good as what we consider traditional (continental and american). The knitted product is the same. (Don't let some knit snob tell you otherwise - I wrap my yarn around my index finger, not my pinkie, and one of the local snobbies insists that I have to change it because 'it's just wrong' LOL). Experiement a little with it, and as long as you can form the basic stitches, do what works :-)

Pencils are a little short, but you can practice with them to get an idea of what might work until you get needles. I've taught kids that way :-)

SaxDragon:

:idea That knitting aid seems super-awesome! :drool I'm positive I could :knit knit with it, but it may have to wait and be a Christmas gift :gift or some such because it's nearly 50 Pounds, which if I'm not mistaken is nearly 100 US dollars now, right? :blink

Here's a picture of the cuff I use:

1485.JPG

I don't think it would get in the way of stitches or anything.

Archived