Need Advice on Using New Yarn

Janie

Question

OK, it may not be new to you all, but it is to me.

I recently bought a pkg of "mill ends" yarn. I'm not sure what type it is, since it had no details on the label. Anyway, I was thrilled because it's very pretty and I usually won't spend the extra money to buy the fancy types until I know I can create something with them. The trouble is I'm finding it impossible to work with the darned stuff. I would describe it this way. The texture is a little fuzzy, but not too much, the strand of yarn is wavy....I can't SEE where one strand starts and the next one starts. I believe LionBrand makes a similar one, I'll have to look further into it so I can attempt a more accurate description. Does this make any sense???

I was wondering if anyone might have tips for practicing working with this type of yarn...I've been crocheting for about 30 yrs and have never run into this before. I'd love to try some of the other new yarns but since this happened I don't dare venture forward and buy any! Any help will be much appreciated.

7 answers to this question

What size is it? Worsted? bulky? One thing I've found with the newer fuzzier yarns is I have to go up on hook size.......way up. Also- sometimes I try several of my hooks before finding one that works best with a particular yarn..(OK I've got a pretty large collection of crochet hooks- and I bet you do , too........) For example I was working with a newer yarn yesterday- I ended up going up 4 hook sizes, and trying 4 hooks in that size (different brands and materials) to see which worked better. Believe it or not- there are differences.

Other things that might help...looser tension...and working your yarn with a regular yarn...the 2 held together. Don't know why that works but it does...

Do you think you have Homespun? I love working with that- but I hated it at first. You will LOVE the finished product- very soft, pretty and nice texture. On my first homespun project I had to up the hook size, buy a plastic Bates hook, loosen my tension, AND crochet it with a strand of regular worsted held together.

I am sure it is Lion Homespun. My AC Moore sells their mill ends of that. Even though Homespun suggests a K hook, I would use a L-P hook and try a swatch. This does work up quickly!

I am sure it is Lion Homespun. My AC Moore sells their mill ends of that. Even though Homespun suggests a K hook, I would use a L-P hook and try a swatch. This does work up quickly!

Sounds like Homespun to me too. I kno AC Moore Carries 3 different kinds of mill ends, Homespun, Regular Yarn (that looks old and dingy :lol ), and Cheniel. I agree that with homespun the larger the hook the easier it is to work with :).

I'm pretty sure it is Homespun, but I'm going to AC Moore tomorrow with a sample so I can double-check.

I will try both things: a larger hook size and working with a worsterd wt yarn also.

I was beginning to think I was yarn-impaired....Never had any trouble with any of the "regular" stuff.

I'll keep you all posted on my efforts. Thanks, again.

With yarn like homespun I have to use at least an N hook, if not a P. Go slower than you normally would...use a lot of light. It's easy to lose track of stitches. You might want to try a pattern you are familiar with first. Makes it easier to get used to I think. I hated it at first. I still have a love/hate relationship with it. I love the finished product but hate working with it to get there:lol . Don't give up. When you're done you'll have a super soft and cuddly FO!!!! Good Luck!:cheer:clap:yay

Archived