Suede Yarns, Berocco vs Lion

Sealgair

I saw two other topics, one just for LB, one just for Berocco's suede and thought I"d sorta combine them here with a new(ish) question.

Has anyone worked with both LB and Berocco's suede yarns? I have a pattern I want to do in suede (a duster length vest) and can't find a store that carries both so that I can compare them in my hands! I was at Mall-Wart the other day and got a chance to look at LB's suede. It's a bit of a heavy worsted weight and while suede-like, seems a bit more on the chenille side. Of course the pattern I'll be working with just calls for worsted. A month ago I was in a Michaels that carries both, but that's a two hour trip. I'm hoping you lovely hooker-folks can give me advice so I don't have to make that trip just for feeling up yarn! :lol From what I remember of the Berocco yarn, it was much more suede-like and thinner - but is it a true worsted weight or is it a bit lighter?

Both brands have around 120-122 yards. LB's is from $5.67-$7.90 per ball and Berocco's is from $7.20-$11 a ball. As I'll need about 1000 yards I may go with LB simply because of price. But as LB is more of a heavy worsted, it's possible my gauge will be off... :bang

Any comments or rants appreciated!

I've worked with both and personally, I like the Berroco brand better. I think it's more like suede because of the feel and the weight. LB is more of a chenille and the weight is heavier. My favorite pattern to use with the Berroco brand is a Shawl that's in one of their pattern books(sorry can't recall the leaflet name; it's not handy). I plan on making the shawl that's a free pattern on the label with the LB suede.

Are you sure you saw Berroco's suede in Michael's; I thought you could only get it at your local yarn shop!?

um, pretty sure. It was a little more than a month ago (5-6 weeks?), but a super-huge Michael's. Harrisonburg, VA if you/anyone is intersted...

Do you feel that Berocco's suede is worth the huge price difference, then?

I haven't used the Lion suede (I have pet it) yet, but have used the Berroco. My thought is if you want something that really looks and feels like suede, then use the Berroco.

um, pretty sure. It was a little more than a month ago (5-6 weeks?), but a super-huge Michael's. Harrisonburg, VA if you/anyone is intersted...

Do you feel that Berocco's suede is worth the huge price difference, then?

I think it's worth the price; if LB had a similar yarn with the same weight and feel, but sold it cheaper, then I would say that the Lb is a better bargain. I paid $9.95 per ball, but I know it's out there for a cheaper price. I think a little surfing the internet might land you some good prices. Check Patternworks at www.patternworks.com

you know moda dea has a ribbon yarn that feels alot like the suede berrocco... if you could get your hands on some of that i think that would be a good equivilent..

and for the price.. i would get the berrocco if you could afford it.. i dont think lion comes any where near this yarn ..

I have purchased the Lion Suede and this is my first time using it. I am making a purse. I find it very hard to work. It seems to pull on the hook and slow down the work. If you pull the yarn too hard, it breaks easily.:angry

Archived