Just found Bernat Boa on sale in our local €1 store for 55c. That's 84c (US) for a skein - and there's a big Rubbermaid container of it. I - paragon of virtue - did not buy any. Yet. It looks lovely but I don't know much about crocheting with this funny yarn. Anyone have experience with it? Any tips or hints or good ideas?

They make cool long. skinny scarves. But... they are not the easiest to crochet with. I used a really large hook... a size L IIRC... and carried along a regular yarn of the same color. Even then, you crochet more by feel than by sight.

Joan

I've seen this yarn at Dollar Tree. You do have to use another yarn with it and work them both together. It is very hard to crochet with this yarn as you can't find the stitches. You can use sport yarn or even worsted yarn along with the Boa.

Miss Crochet, I agree that a small test is a good way to found out. I bought several different kinds of textured yarn a couple of years ago, just to see what I thought. I ended up giving it all away.

But, some like it very much.

I used Boa as an accent on a plarn purse I made last week...it turned out very cute! (See below, although the pic really doesn't do it justice.) I ended up sc'ing it along an already-crocheted row, because it's way to hard to see/count stitches when you're using it on its own. I imagine it would be easier double-stranded with another yarn.

Long story short, I'd definitely snap some up at that price!

purse2.jpg

Archived