Felting knitted items

Fredja

I love felting but actually I have only done it to make felted beads for my jewelry projects. Right now I want to give a try to both crocheting and felting but I'm not sure how it's done. Do you use a washing machine and if so which are the steps to follow?

I think there's other threads about this...somewhere. but anyway...Here's what I do.

(For tiny things, keep felting by hand) Use a top loading, not water saving, washer. Set it to hot wash, longest agitation, small load. If it's a distance from the water heater, run a nearby tap if possible, to "preheat the pipes" (Very important for me, where I live, in a trailer, in the winter)...that way the water you get is the hottest possible (no need to raise the water heater temp, really). add a small amount of mild laundry soap.

Okay, place item(s) to be felted in the water and close the lid. Check the felting process after 5 minutes. For me, it usually takes the full 18 minutes (my longest agitation cycle) to be done. You can reset the agitation time if need be. The machine does all the work for you. You can add something (like a pair of ripped (no one wears em) jeans to increase the agitation so that it felts faster, if you want. But you don't have to.

When it's done, take it out, shape it, let it dry, and you're good to go. (I sometimes let it go through the rinse cycle too, but you run the risk of crease marks if your spin cycle is very fast)

Anything with long skinny handles? Put the handles in a mesh bag or do them by hand. They are notorious for tangling around themselves and other things and causing no end of problems (like super-tight spots in your item, or impossible, felted knots in themselves)

HTH!:)

I have felted many crocheted items, mostly purses and bags. I always put my project in a pillow case and close loosely near the top of the case with a rubber band. I will check the item every five minutes or so until I get it the size I want. Rubber gloves are helpful due to the water being very hot. Also, to help with the felting process, use a "detergent" not a soap. I usually use a little of my liquid dish washing soap which is actually a detergent.

I would just wonder...when you have FINISHED felting something, when you wash it, does it felt more and more and more???

Yes, if you wash it in hot water again. Never, never, never put you item in teh dryer unles you want to felt it even more.

There *is* a limit to how far it will go...but unless you're trying to find that limit...stop when you like it, and don't re-wash it in hot water, or put it in the dryer...just like that fine wool sweater that used to fit DH and now fits 5yo DS :P

Archived