Help with stuffed animal eyes

hazelsmrf

Question

I just made my first amigurumi (how fun!) but I was pretty stumped when it came to the eyes. In the end I attached them however I could but since the toy is for my 18 month old daughter and safety is a concern, I will probably end up sewing some felt eyes on or just embroidering them.

I had bought a selection of different eyes at an online store, some are on wires, some on posts, some have these little washer looking metal plates, and NONE of them have instructions! I have searched online and can't seem to find any links that tell you HOW to sew or attach these eyes in any way. I know it's not really a crochet question but I figured someone has to know! :)

7 answers to this question

The ones on wires, I'm assuming the loop on the end, are usually just sewn on the surface and kind of hang. The ones with washers are just stuck in and the washer is attached on the opposite side of the item (you'll often need to put the eyes in before you close up the amigurumi. For a child, the best thing is just to embroider or maybe some non-toxic paint.

I am certainly no pro, but I recently made a stuffed monkey for a 7 month old boy and when it came to the eyes, I just used some black yarn to cross stitch some eyes. It doesn't look as good as something bought probably would, but at least I know he won't be swallowing them.

You can do the eyes to suit your preference. When using the safety eyes you need to put the front of the eye part in through a stitch space (just between stitches) then put the back security washer in place. Make sure you put the washer on tightly and you need to put these type of eyes on before you close up the ami otherwise you will not be able to get the back washer on. If you are using something like buttons or sew on type eyes, I just use regular sewing thread and the button. I just sew over/through the holes lots and lots of times to make sure they are really secure. I do not cut the thread between eyes. In other words I use the same thread to secure both eyes before finishing it off. To finish the thread off I wrap the thread around the button and then pull the needle through the loop, knot it several times and pull it through the ami and cut off so that the thread hides inside the ami. Embroidering eyes I do not do so well. Sometimes they turn out nice and other times they don't. If you would like to see some of the ami's I made and their eyes along with others on here, check out the toy drive thread.

No the wire ones aren't loops, there is one long wire connecting the two eyes, so I have no idea AT ALL how that works :) Hmm sewing the eyes on like that, would make them very very... droopy no?

Ah, those are just sold like that in pairs. They are usually glass. You're meant to snip the wire. You then have two eyeballs, each on a thin "stem". You insert the stem into the animal (this is usually for cloth animals), then you crimp the wire into shape to keep it from pushing back through.

No the wire ones aren't loops, there is one long wire connecting the two eyes, so I have no idea AT ALL how that works.

You clip them in half, then use a tool to twist them into loops. Run the thread through the loops, then pull through the head. I don't like them at all and they're certainly not appropriate for a toddler.

Thank you :) The glass eyes weren't for a toy for the baby so I'm not too worried about that, it's for an adult friend, I just had no clue how to use them! For the baby I think I will remove the eyes I had managed to attach and instead sew some felt ones on.

Archived