Best yarn for babies?

faithdarling

Question

Is acrylic really the best material to use for baby clothing and blankets? I am due in 2 weeks with my 2nd baby, and think that for the summer, 100% cotton might be better (more breathable, etc.). I'm having a really hard time finding any yarn that's baby weight in any kind of natural fiber. What does everyone else use?

6 answers to this question

I have some of the Baby Bee 100% cotton. I know 100% cotton is better for the babies, but I think for newborns it's too heavy weight for a blanket. In the summer especially, I would just buy thin cotton receiving blankets. I like to use regular WW or sports weight acrylics for blankets for the winter. The stuff I make for the NICU donations are always acrylic for the washability factor.

I've used Bernat Cotton Tots in the past, and loved it. :)

I also like Lion Brand Cotton Ease, as it's softer than regular worsted cotton. :)

I made my daughter a couple of sweaters when she was born, and used the 100% acrylic with the shiny thread running through it (I don't remember the brands!). However, she was a small baby, so she didn't wear any of the sweaters until she was probably 9 months old. I made our new baby (due in 6 weeks!) a blanket using Caron baby soft, baby weight, which I believe is also 100% acrylic, and it's soft and light. I use acrylic for my daughter for wintery stuff because she tends to stay warm and I don't want her to sweat in the acrylic. I made her some summery things using cotton. I really like the fact that the acrylic can be washed and dried with no problem. I used Bernat's CottonTots for a shirt for my daughter and it got kind of fuzzy and pilly looking and the color faded a lot.

Archived