Do you stick to a budget for your crochet supplies?

What I buy depends entirely on how much money I have with me. If I find myself staring at the yarn and I've only brought $5 with me, I'll buy one roll. If I've brought, say, $20, I generally limit myself to what I can carry in one arm. ;) Of course, this is partly out of practicality. The one walmart I like to go to for yarn doesn't have baskets, and I think it's silly to grab a cart just for yarn (or maybe dangerous, I'd probably be able to fill one if I wasn't careful), so I'm limited to what I can carry anyways. But sticking to one arm only, instead of two, keeps the amount I buy down a bit.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do have a budget for my crafts, in my mind. No one tells me too but I do. Dh doesn't say anything about what I buy. I like it that way LOL! I am the same with him because he is also a smart shopper most of the time & doesn't go overboard on golf stuff. I spend about $20 per month on crafts USUALLY. I'm good, so dh sometimes TELLS me to go yarn shopping & have fun. LOL!

Usually at Hobby Lobby/Walmart. Sometimes I find yarn at Big Lots or Dollar Tree or the thrift store.

I might splurge occasionally but not big ones. Buying 6-8 skeins at one time is a splurge for me :lol

I also ebay sometimes & save up enough PP to splurge on some yarn online that I can't get around here.

It's like Free yarn because it's not coming out of my pocket right? Or if I get money for holidays or birthday, I head to HL!

I don't keep a specific budget, but I shop in a certain way. An example is when I shop at Jo-Ann's, which isn't often. I only do it when the items I want are on sale, and I can purchase enough of what I am looking for to get the free shipping also.

So I just ordered 3 colors in Paton's Astra and 3 colors in Caron Pounders, both of which are on sale at Jo-Ann's, and my total put me well above that needed for the free shipping. I saved 1/3 of the total cost of my order.

Since hubby and I have been on a rather tight budget for some time now, I try and keep a taut rein on yarn buying. I can't remember the last time I bought a specific yarn for a specific project. This year (more than others) my goal is to work solely from my stash. It's hard to look at all the lovely colors and fibers in the new catalogs and NOT dig out my rarely used charge card. But so far I'm doing OK. I still frequent thrift shops and a few yard sales looking for craft buys. However, I only take a certain amount of money (usually $20 or less) and when it's gone I QUIT. Not an IDEAL situation for a crochet-aholic, but as some one else mentioned, "keeps me out of the poor house" (...grinning and running hands through a tote of baby yarn stash....).

Archived