my recycled crochet hook caddy

My brother is a machininst for a living and all the parts for his lathes and mills come inside these little boxes. They some in all sizes and shapes and easily nest inside others. The tops a made to securely stay on because the companies do not want hundred dollar parts being destroyed by falling out. So they are great for inside a purse. And the top and bottom are padded on the inside with a little foam, so nothing gets banded around even if you drop it! I have even given extras to friends that have fallen in love with mine.

He even got a bigger version that fits a skein of yarn perfectly melted a hole in the top and passed it on to me. Now my yarn stays in one place, I look at the same things they have at Wal-Mart and smile. I got mine from something his company throws away every day. It's amazing, what a little imagination can do. I have even used them for holding my beading junk!

I was just wondering if anybody else has done them same thing? Taken something that in another's eyes is trash and turned it into a very handy hobby tool? And as soon as I figure out how to get an image inserted in off my flash drive I'll show my caddy.:think

Very nice idea! I'm like this too. My sisters laugh at me because they know I always find ways to use boxes, baskets, jars, etc. Now I've got them doing it too!

When I was little, mom always had the large oatmeal boxes around. I covered one with the self stick shelf paper (:think that's what it was called). With a yarn handle and a hole in the lid, it made a great crochet/knit tote. My mom used them for Lego's, Match box cars and all sorts of small toys. Kept the play room clean :lol. With a large family (6 kids), we did a lot of "recycling" before it was popular :lol.

Ellie 13

When my household was just me, the most frugal way to make coffee was one cup at a time. Melitta had these great 2 cup brewers, but I couldn't see pay $8 plus shipping. So I melted a hole in an old plastic container just large enough for my large funnel. It's been going strong for 8 years.

My loving father made me something out of wood scraps he had lying around... he stucka dowel into a black of wood, and its GREAT for stacking granny squares on and making sure everything is the same size...

But I broke it.

So he's repairing it for me... ;)

Well, it wasn't really recycling, just cheap. I made an imitation yarn holder from a Rubbermaid cannister and melted a hole in the lid. $2.99. The only difference is mine has a screw on lid and the real ones have flip top lids.

Archived