freebies

:clapI was so excited last week while dd was at dance class an old school chum gave me a huge old navy shopping bag filled with baby yarn:manyheart:yesI was so excited as I have a cousin who is having identical twin boys. I had already started sweaters now I can and hats,booties and blankets.....I am so thrilled.

Wow how nice! It's great especially when you have two bubs to crochet for!

I recently had something similar happen - but the yarn was given to me by a complete stranger! I was in the supermarket and this woman started a conversation with me. From talking about bananas, we eventually ended up talking about knitting and crocheting. We went to her house later that day and she gave me a huge bag of brand new yearn (15 balls total). Yarn's not cheap here so it was really great. I was amazed by her generosity. I've made her a scarf as a thank you and just have to drop it off now.

I've only been given yarn a couple of times... once by an aunt by marriage who was moving back to CA after my uncle died.. big box of yarn along with some projects she had started and not finished... most of them I frogged and redid. In fact, I still have a little of that yarn left... mostly colors I don't like. The other time was when my sister gave me a few skeins to keep me busy while my mother was in the hospital.

And I've never come upon any yarn in garage sales or flea markets either... strange.

When I was a kid, I wrote to my great grandmother and asked if she had some patterns to share as I was having a little sister. She mailed me a box of yarn and patterns. I used some and have saved the extra for future family projects. Maybe if I get to have a baby someday I will use up the rest of it.

I am always sharing my projects with others either at church or work. A co-worker will always email me a couple times a year and ask if I have a minute to come to her office. I will show up and she will give me a trashbag of yarn. I am always so grateful. I usually make her coasters, doilies or other little things she loves. She will give it to me and chuckle at my expression, and tell me go forth and create. I am always amazed how she comes by these finds. It can be a yard sale, flea market or relative who passed and no one crochets or knits.

Archived