Dilemma

I'm having a crocheting dilemma! It's my cousin's son's first birthday next month. I thought I would make him something.

I started on the Colour Me blanket (http://crochetme.com/patterns/color-me). I'm nearly done with the first crayon and I'm loving how it looks. So here's my dilemma! I'm starting to love the blanket so much I want to keep it for my own bub! I know my cousin would appreciate the blanket to an extent. I made her a blanket when the baby was born and only heard a few months later that she received/liked it. I'm not sure if it gets used now.

So I'm not sure whether to send this blanket that I'm making, that is taking a lot of time and work. Or to make something quicker that might be appreciated more (or simply buy something).

I imagine other crocheters have had this same dilemma! It's very hard when you spend so much time making an item not to get attached. I usually have to have the mindset it's for someone else from the start or else it'll never leave my home!

So what do you do in situations like these?

I'd say to wait until the child is older and then make him the blanket so that he will be able to appreciate it. At 1 he really won't understand that it was made by you and the parents may not use it that much....however, when he turns 4 or 5 and receives it he can tell you how much he loves it and he'll decide whether or not he carries it everywhere. Good luck!!

Keep it if you like it that much and send the child something else. If the crocheted gifts aren't appreciated, then why spend all that time and love?

I have to agree..you didn't get a quick response to the first blanket, so make this one for your bub, and get the child something else.

I would definitely keep the blanket and give the child something else. Later when Mom converts his nursery into a "Big Boy" room, you might offer to make something to decorate it. I'm sure it will be really appreciated then!

Patty

Thanks for the advice! I think you guys are right and I'm better to make the blanket for my little one - then I know it will get used! I'll find something else to make for my cousin's son! Thanks everyone :)

Under the circumstances, I would keep this one for myself if I were you, and either make a simpler blanket for your cousin's baby or buy the child something. After you finish this blanket, maybe you can start another one to give to the child for Christmas or something. There will always be more yarn to come, and fortunately patterns can be made over and over again, so when the time is right (ie, when he is old enough to appreciate getting gifts), you can make another one of the crayon afghans for your cousin's boy.

Archived