FLO & BLO stitches

Does using flo or blo serve a purpose other than putting the nifty little stripes on the finished work? The striping can be pretty, but I am not sure if it serves a purpose.

I have used it I guess in a bootie pattern that I made to turn up from the sole to the sides--so I can see that purpose.

I was working up crochet kittens cassie's leg warmer pattern last night, and just wondered if it served a purpose other that just for looks. When I made Caron's baby hoodie I just skipped the back loop only instruction because I didn't want the striped effect.

It can increase the stretchiness of the fabric (to a limited extent), so you'll sometimes see it worked as a ribbing on garments. (as BLO every row for X # of rows) It can come in handy (as you've noted) for turning up the sides of something (like booties, boxes etc) though not entirely necessary. And of course, sometimes it's just for looks.

HTH

Thanks all!! I guess streach and/or drape is a good reason to use it for this leg warmer pattern, although it is a horizontal ribbing so I am not sure it is the right way....oh well maybe I'll try it without next time.

Archived