working one color yarn over another

can't get enough

Question

Pattern states: When using blue yarn work over a strand of white, when using white yarn, work over a strand of blue, changing colors according to pattern....

I can't understand the concept. I am thinking misprint but ......have no idea.:think

11 answers to this question

Pattern states: When using blue yarn work over a strand of white' date=' when using white yarn, work over a strand of blue, changing colors according to pattern....

I can't understand the concept. I am thinking misprint but ......have no idea.:think[/quote']

Nope...it's right. What you want to do is hold the yarn you are working over straight, pretend it's part of the row below when you insert your hook and yarn over. The yarn will be a straight line in & between your stitches. I'll see if I can get a good picture of what I'm explaining with a scrubbie I made last night doing this.

Oh boy I've been so feeling completely guilty about making my hubby a Harley blanket and I can't get my dorky brain around this concept. I just orderd how to make picture afghans and printed out everything possible on how to do it and I'm so confused:think I hope you can get it figured out :) I'm gonna go :kick myself now and make something easy :lol

The other color (that is finished) is carried along the top of the row, so that you are working over it as you bring up new stitches in the first step (right to left) of the row. Clear as mud?

Let's hope this picture helps some.....and is clear enough for you to see.

carryyarn7tl.jpg

See the blue line running straight across the middle between the rows of blue? That's the yarn that is being carried or worked over as I was then crocheting with the off-white cotton. So just hold it over the row you are crocheting into and it should just tag along with the stitches you are making. BTW...this isn't the scrubbie I made last night but a new design I'm working on.

I got those instructions and need to sit down again and try them.See the problem I have is it doesn't look right :think Am I being too much of a perfectionist?

And then I read one site that said it should look the same on both sides :think how is that even possible :huh

The thing about working two yarns like this is that you've got to keep the tension on the yarn you're working over pretty tight. Even so, there will be places where the running thread will show through a little bit. (And I totally feel ya on the perfectionist thing-I'm one too, and have frogged many a project that ''didn't look right'', even if it was!) Keep working at it-you'll develop a rhythm, and it will get easier.

The thing about working two yarns like this is that you've got to keep the tension on the yarn you're working over pretty tight. Even so, there will be places where the running thread will show through a little bit. (And I totally feel ya on the perfectionist thing-I'm one too, and have frogged many a project that ''didn't look right'', even if it was!) Keep working at it-you'll develop a rhythm, and it will get easier.

Exactly, Rachel. One thing I found to make it easier, ever so often, give that yarn you are working over a gentle tug to keep it taught but not too tight. This helps it stay in place and look like it's supposed to be there. JMHO

Archived