Washing an antique tablecloth

Danika

Question

Hi Everyone,

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I don’t know what I should do to clean this tablecloth. It belongs to a friend of mine who is in her 80’s, Her mother made it about 40 years ago. It was leant out and when it came back it had a big hole in it and full of food stains. I was able to fix the hole but now how do I clean it the thread is get very fragile. I don’t want it to fall apart on me but would like to clean it before I give it back to her. So any help would be great

Thanks Danika

10 answers to this question

I made a thread crochet tablecloth in 1973 as one of my first thread projects. I use the washing machine on gentle. If you want it extra gentle, put it inside a pillow case to wash it and secure the pillow case end with whip stitching that will come out easily.

For stains, oxyclean is good. You can also try this method: stretch the stained area tautly over a bowl using rubber bands. Boil water and holding the boiling water high, drip it onto the stain. Not sure why this works. I was taught by nuns to do this for altar linens and crocheted tablecloths.

If the stains are candlewax, then remove as much of the candlewax manually before trying any stain removal steps. Put the article in the freezer to freeze the wax. Much of it should break off. Try removing more by placing paper towel over and under the wax and then press with a hot iron to melt the wax and have it absorb into the paper towels.

I've cleaned several vintage tablecloths for people who bring them into the LYS. I've had luck with Ivory Snow and Soak. With Soak you don't have to rinse it. I always fill the bathtub just enough to cover the cloth with my oxyclean and Ivory Snow or Soak already dissolved in there.

As far as stains, Oxyclean usually works, but on two occasions, it's not done a thing. If your tablecloth is cream, the oxyclean will whiten it. It won't be cream any more. It doesn't seem to bother colors or ecru tho', which I think is strange.

When you take it out of the tub, carry it rolled in a towel so the thread won't stretch. Lay it out flat on the floor to dry with a fan blowing on it. Sometimes the edges will need to be steamed to keep them from curling, but nothing else.

Good luck!

Cathey,

Thank goodness we have an expert in our midst! I thought dry cleaning would be the gentlest. What about the process would be so harmful- the chemicals? :think

Thanks to all for your help.

I was wondering if soaking the tablecloth for a long time would weaken the thread even more. It looks like just food stains on it that I can tell. But not sure how long they have been on there. What do you think about using spray and wash? I don’t have oxy clean right now will have to get some for sure. Maybe I will wait till I get some on my next shopping trip.

Thanks again.

Cathey,

Thank goodness we have an expert in our midst! I thought dry cleaning would be the gentlest. What about the process would be so harmful- the chemicals? :think

What color is it? I could send you some of the stuff at the cleaners that we use to soak wedding dresses and other stuff.. I had brought some of it home to soak two wedding dresses that turned yellow from old age(0ver 45 yrs) and got them white again..

Good evening all,

Yes I will let you know how it turns out. I am a little :scaredscared about washing it because it is not mine and it is so old and every fragile. It is a pattern call

Star Wheels, from 1938 it is on Celt's Vintage Crochet right now.

It is white, but she crocheted it with two stand of thread. I am not sure why maybe she couldn’t get they right size thread.

emeraldmoonI will try to private message you. I still don't know how this all works but will give it a try. Thanks Danika

I have come out with a new product to remove stains from discolored vintage linens. I named it Mama's Miracle Linen Soak, and it will remove practically anything—even 60-year-old stains— without damaging delicate fibers. Just heat some water, mix it up, and soak your textiles! That's all it takes to rescue stained vintage linens, and it works on newer fabrics and crochet too. Buy it on ebay, Amazon, or at www.mamasmiracle.com.

post-71612-0-09442700-1398291111_thumb.jpg

post-71612-0-31253700-1398291252_thumb.jpg

Archived