Newbie... and I mean NEWBIE! lol

YarnFeather

The last time I attempted to knit, I looked like a kitten in a ball of yarn! LOL I am DETERMINED to learn to knit this year!! Its my 2008 goal.

I was soooo excited to see this group on the Ville!! YAY!!! :cheer:cheer:cheer

I just checked my barnes and noble account, which put me at a link for my local ups account and my knitting for dummies book is headed to me TODAY!!!!

I am sooooo excited!!!

Hi! I tried knitting last year. I actually started knitting part of a top, at least the first 14" of it and the stitches looked so awful. I ended up undoing it all! So this year, my resolution was to turn how to knit too. I was determined and I'm actually doing okay!

Crochet is so much easier and faster but I'm really enjoying knitting! Good luck.

I'm so glad to see this thread! I have tried teaching myself to knit and I am amazed at how awkward it feels.

Does anyone have an online tutorial they recommend where the instructor goes really, really slow? LOL

Kim

I'm also a newbie....maybe I should get me a book =) I got one of those "learn to knit" books, but it's kind of hard to follow, I think the videos you can find online are easier to follow since it actually shows you.

I'm also determined to learn this year, but so far I like my crochet hook better! I know I just need to get a feel for it.....and hopefully that "feel" will come soon, hehe.

Good luck!

knittinghelp.com is really good. They have video clips showing how to do all the techniques. I don't know how SLOW it is, but you can always play it over and over until you get it!

Don't give up if it feels awkward at first. Remember it was the same when you first learned to crochet. Like any new skill, just practice and practice and it WILL get easier.

Good luck learning to knit. It will add a whole new dimension to your needlecraft skills.

knittinghelp.com is really good. They have video clips showing how to do all the techniques. I don't know how SLOW it is, but you can always play it over and over until you get it!

Don't give up if it feels awkward at first. Remember it was the same when you first learned to crochet. Like any new skill, just practice and practice and it WILL get easier.

Good luck learning to knit. It will add a whole new dimension to your needlecraft skills.

Thanks! I looked at the website and it looks like something I could follow.:) I really want to learn to knit. There are so many great patterns!

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a newbie knitter too and I went to you tube and watched videos there. There are tons of video, and if they go too quickly, or you need to see it again, just 'rewind' and watch again! :U

Have you tried looking at your local library or locality for any knitting at groups... I have several in my small area that have it... We have 1 night at the church and 1 at the library and there are several that meet at coffee shops in my hampton roads area...

You should look at them so you can get some hands on help while learning to knit... or crochet if the case may be... I am the teacher of crochet if anyone shows up at our library...

So look at the yahoo groups for any meetups near you or even meetup.com as well... or even ravelry may have a group in your area that meets...and you can look at our very own crochetville for any meetups close to you...

Archived