Hat techniques

crochetingnetta12208

I just made half a dozen hats for Christmas presents. There were a bunch of patterns in Knit Simple and I wanted to try them all! (I gave them away before I got pics).

I made cables, lace, berets, watch caps, ear flaps, you name it!

Most were done in the round. Either I started with a circ and switched to DPNs during the decreases or I just used DPNs the whole way (if there weren't too many stitches). The beret was knit on straights and seamed.

The quickest and easiest is the watch cap. Just knit few inches of ribbing, switch to garter stitch and knit several more inches, decrease until the end and graft off. My boys love them.

I've never attempted a knitted hat, although from the previous post, it makes sense to start with a few inches of ribbing. I think I'd switch to a crochet pattern then.

I'm with lisalu...I have knit all my hats in the round. I have used many different patterns also. You could also knit a hat on straight needles and seam it....but for me it's just easier to knit in the round...I soooo hate to seam.

Here is an easy pattern....Here is a whole list....I'm sure you could find something there.

Wow, that is quite a list of hats!

Also the Lion Yarn website has free patterns that are usually pretty easy (crochet and knit) lionbrandyarn.com

Hats are fun and easy. I really like working in the round so I love to knit hats and socks.

Archived