newbie confused eh!

:thinkok i am like so new at this. i just learned how to crochet...... and i have been looking at patterns . i need one for my very first project. but patterns i just dont understand!!!!

why cant a scarf or afgan just be one stitch? why all diff ones mixed???

can i make a scarf using one stitch?

i am really eager to make something with the stiches i learned and i was thinking of making a scarf with my fav stitch . just kinda goin for it and letting my creativeness take control. do you all frown on this...do i need to follow a pattern ???

i also dont understand the diff kind of yarns??? can i just go though and feel them and the one that feels soft i buy??? lol

i need so much help! please your advice????:(

You're being silly! ;) Make your scarf the way YOU want to. You certainly don't need a pattern. What kind of stitch are you planning on using? Just make sure you chain enough (if it is some kind of pattern stitch) and remember to count your sts in case you miss or add a st. As far as yarn goes, pick something you like, but be careful with some of the "fun" yarn as they can be somewhat tricky to crochet with if you are just learning. But most important......just HAVE FUN!!!!!

Scarfs can be one stitch. I did a bunch in double crochet for Christmas gifts. Yes there was a ch 3 at the beginning of the row (has to be), but other then that it was just double crochet.

And yes you can make up your own pattern (that's called designing) and you can even do a variety of stitches in a garment (that's called free form).

I crocheted for years not following patterns (well my mom couldn't and I never bothered learning either).

Just start and go and see what happens.

Debbi

You can certainly make a scarf with all one stitch, or even several rows of one, then several rows of another, just being careful that they are the same width unless you don't mind the scarf being a bit wavey. Scarves are an excellent way to practice your new stitches as you learn them. So are potholders and dish and face cloths if you are using cotton. You want cotton for these because first of all it is softer for dishcloths and stands up to repeated washings better, and most important it is safer for potholders because if it catches fire it doesn't melt like acrylic which can leave nasty burns.

Oh another thing on yarns, you may want to avoid the furry type yarns for your first projects. Those are hard to see. But if you're determined to keep going and they won't discourage you, then go for it. I know a lady who finally crocheted, did her first scarf in a fun fur yarn. She isn't into crocheting and wanted to try it so that's all she did.

If you want a soft yarn for a scraf, Simply Soft or Red Heart Soft is a good one. Vanna's Choice Yarn is a soft one. But really any. So yes, go and feel the yarn and see what you like. The label will help with a "suggested" hook size, although you can use any that you feel comfortable using.

Debbi

The first thing I made after learning the basic stitches was a scarf - with no pattern. I just found the stitch that felt most comfortable to me at first and kept going. I think it was a half-double crochet stitch. By the time I had the length of the scarf done I had the confidence to try an edging stitch. I think I tried an easy pattern from an edging book my mom had passed along to me. Here's how it came out. Just do what feels best and you'll get the hang of it. Then you'll be bold enough to try something different!

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG%5D

wow you all are very helpful and supportive! thank you so so much!

so im thinking on going with an afghan stitch or a double crochet. i thike those two alot! and im thinking a chain of like 12? or 13?

(afghan stitch isnt just for afghans are they?:heehee)

i would really like to make some dishcloths too. how would i go about doing that??? and whats the cotton yarn?...is that the small lil bundle?

i have been practicing with red heart ss and i seem to like it pretty well but its not as soft as i would like it.

i got this new kind today that is really soft . its "caron simply soft". is that a good one??

thinks so much for everything peeps you guys are awesome!!!!!!:hug:yay:c9

my answers in blue for you

wow you all are very helpful and supportive! thank you so so much!

so im thinking on going with an afghan stitch or a double crochet. i thike those two alot! and im thinking a chain of like 12? or 13?

I did 17 ch and then dc in 3rd chain from hook and that gave me 15 stitches.

(afghan stitch isnt just for afghans are they?:heehee)

Nope you can use them for anything you want.

i would really like to make some dishcloths too. how would i go about doing that??? and whats the cotton yarn?...is that the small lil bundle?

There are some small ittle bundles. But it will be clearly marked "cotton". I like Peaches & Cream I find at Walmart, comes in a big cone or little bundle. But any brand will do. And any stitch. There are patterns if you want to follow one, but you don't have to. Most like them more solid then holey. Your choice. I like the thicker cotton, similar to Simply Soft size and use a G or H hook or any hook that will work.

i have been practicing with red heart ss and i seem to like it pretty well but its not as soft as i would like it.

i got this new kind today that is really soft . its "caron simply soft". is that a good one??

Lot of people like that Caron Simply Soft. I've used it. So use that one. That would make a nice scarf, very soft around the neck and face.

thinks so much for everything peeps you guys are awesome!!!!!!:hug:yay:c9

I agree... Caron SS would be a great choice for your first project if you want something soft! Bernant coordinates would be another to try!

Caron simply soft is good, but tends to split easily. Then you end up pulling just a few plies through the loop instead of the whole thing. Bernat super value is nice and soft, but doesn't split quite as easy. Good luck! Just go for it and practice a lot. Have fun with it! We're all constantly learning new things.:crocheting

Try new things. Buy a yarn just for the softness factor. Have fun. That's what crochet is all about.

There are no set rules in crochet. Don't be afraid to try new patterns, yarns, hooks, etc.

And you can always come here and ask for help. That's the beauty of this group.

Have a lot of fun with your new skills.

:manyheart

Archived