KRAL: Needled to Death by Maggie Sefton

DesertCrocheter

Yup, my library does do interlibrary loans, but it's 120 miles to Phoenix, the nearest library system, and of course, further to California, so if the used bookstore has it, I don't mind buying a book and then selling it back when I'm done. I do that all the time. Next to the library, the used bookstore is my favorite place! (The fact it's next door to my favorite bakery is huge plus! LOL)

And we do like the Maggie Sefton series. Personally I really like the character of Kelly. But critiquing something doesn't mean you don't like it. The only 'rule' I set up for these book discussions was that you had to talk about the book or explain why you liked it. Finding the mystery weak or Kelly's caffeine addiction overdone doesn't mean we don't like it. The one thing I tell my students I want them to walk out of class with is the ability to think critically about information, and that holds for this, too. I want people to experiment with reading books they might not otherwise, or think more deeply than just reading for pleasure. There's absolutely nothing wrong with reading for pleasure; I'm reading an anthology of mystery short stories totally and completely for pleasure right not, without analyzing it or thinking deeply about it. But that is not what a book group is for.

It is the 4 book in The Maggie Sefton Series. A killer Stitch. I know the are very easy reads and that most of you don't like them. I don't know what to say but I really like the books they are easy entertaining reads.

I agree, there were a lot of things about those books that I DID like; but also a lot I didn't like. That just gives us more stuff to discuss!

My 11 yo dd and I belong to a mother-daughter book discussion group at our library, and one of the first things the librarian told us was that USUALLY when you don't like a book, the discussion is livelier! If you all liked it, what's to talk about? :)

Also, my local library doesn't have "Died in the Wool". :(

Hi everybody, Well I understand giving reasons you like a book. I guess because I just not a deep thinker and find it hard to express my self, I don't give reason why I like or dislike books. I love kelly's character, I really thinks she needs to relax a little. The book make me wish the town really exisited and I could live in there and be a part of the Lambspun family. Also to be smart enough to have a job that I could do from home earn a living and not have to do the day to day grind that I have to put up with in my real life. I will be ready for the next dicussion on the 4th book if anyone reads the book. I must admit there is a part in the book I find very goofy it is the Christmas party for children (this is in the 4th book). Thats all I will say about the book for now.

to have a job that I could do from home earn a living and not have to do the day to day grind that I have to put up with in my real life.

I hear ya! :hug And wish that were me, too. Today in particular is a grind. :(

I hope I didn't come across too harsh. I just meant that just saying someone liked (or disliked) the book without why doesn't make for much give and take. And it's even harder trying to hold a discussion online, as we are. But I've enjoyed reading your comments, and am glad you've enjoyed the books, because so have I. I'm going to try to get hold of number 4 so we can talk about it. And although Friday Night Knitting Club isn't something I'd normally pick up on my own, since you've recommended it, I'm going to track it down, too.

I'm no deep thinker, either, and certainly a mystery series is no great literature that spawns deep, philosophical discussion. But we can have fun talking it about with our cups of tea or coffee by our sides, right?

Now, has anyone made any of the recipes in the books? I'm curious...

Patty

I bought Died in the Wool at Borders and it cost more than the average paperback, even with my coupon. But I enjoyed it. There were points I had issue with, but overall I liked it better than the Sefton series. Near the big ending, I got goosebumps while I was under my electric blanket! That sure doesn't happen often.

When I bought Friday Night Knitting Club, I had high expectations, so was doubly disappointed when I didn't like it. I guess I prefer happier stories.

I am going to try to get a new thread posted today with discussion questions for Died in the Wool. So everyone who has read it can start discussing, and as others readit they can join in too.

I am on the library wait list for Friday Night Knitting Club, so it will probably be quite a while before I get it, but I am looking forward to reading it to see how I like it.

Terry/RedHeart, do you want to go ahead and start a discussion thread for Friday Night? You and Theresa have read it and others might join in who haven't even been on this thread so far.

BTW, I googled around and found "Reading Group Guides" website where they have suggested questions for different genres http://www.readinggroupguides.com/no_guide/no_guide.asp That helped me think about questions to use here.

Hey, that site has a guide for Friday Night http://www.readinggroupguides.com/guides3/friday_night_knitting_club1.asp That is a long list of questions, but might be helpful for us. Anyhow, just throwing it out there as an idea, won't hurt my feelings if it isn't used:)

Kathy, thanks for finding those Friday Night discussion questions. Very helpful!

How about this? We discuss Died in the Wool first, and I'll start a discussion thread for Friday Night on April 1. That gives people more time to obtain and read it.

Kathy, great find on that link! What a great resource for our discussions. And Redheart, I think April 1 would be great for Friday Night, since my copy should be here by then.

It's so hard not to open up that Died in the Wool thread (thank you for starting it!!), because I'm only halfway through. I had a 10.5-hour day at work yesterday, so I could only read a couple of chapters last night before I zonked out. Must resist opening it, must resist...:lol

Patty

I went to my local library yesterday and they did not have died in the wool. I did an intralibrary loan so my library plans to request the book from other libraries. I hope it does not take to long to find. None of the libraries in our county system has the book. We shall see what happens.

Archived