Tunisian Crochet

Does anyone do Tunisian Crochet? I guess you could call it a cross between knit and crochet. I'm really interested in giving it a try. I need to find one of those long hooks though, maybe even a couple of books of leaflets. Just wondering how many of you have tried it and what you have to say about it. I saw them demonstrate it on the show "knit and crochet today" yesterday and it looked pretty cool. ;)

I learned it a few years ago and made a few small things. My goal this year is to really become accomplished with the technique. I've been working on this Apache Rose Peacock. http://www.crochetme.com/2005_Oct_Nov/pattern_afghan.html

It seemed like a good way to get used to doing color changes because eventually I want to do a graph-ghan of some sort.

I got a set of the Annie's Attic Easy Tunisian hooks off of eBay and I really like them. I really like working in Tunisian and once you get the hang of making color changes you can make some very neat designs.:hook

Yes, I do Tunisian Crochet. It is also called Afghan Stitch. If you do a google search you can find alot of information on this type of crochet under both names. You can find alot of patterns on Crochet Pattern Central and tutorials with lots of pics on Crochet Cabana. I made the afghan here with Designs by J.A.M.I. patterns. The Encyclopedia of Tunisian Crochet is and excellent book as well. I found my hooks at Hobby Lobby & Annies Attic.

Good Luck! :cheer If you have any questions and need help you can send me a pm and I will try to help you.:)

I LOVE tunisian! There are so many stitches you can do too. You just have to do some digging. LOL I actually just bought a tunisian pattern on ebay of a top and I can't wait to get it to do this shirt! Gotta wait to do Kims Nautical Wave afghan first though. I mainly do tunisian in entrelac though. I really, really love doing that:manyheart

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about trying tunisian crochet ever since I found an old crochet encyclopedia at a Lifeline book fair recently. It has a whole chapter on tunisian crochet and a couple of patterns I'd like to try. I haven't been able to find the hooks in the fabric/craft stores around here. I'll definitely be checking out those links you posted Midds.

Cheers!

Bek

And Kim Guzman teaches Tunisian classes right here on Crochetville! I took the first one and heartily recommend it. Check the class schedule to see when the next one will be offered. Kim gives little tips on how to keep the edge from curling and other great tips/ideas. Patty

I too, took the first class she taught here on Tunisian crochet and I highly recommend her!

I found the long hooks at Hobby Lobby. Michaels' and Joann's did not have them.

Archived